SWAP Space

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
andrew89898

SWAP Space

Post by andrew89898 »

Hi, I have just got Linux Mint 13 (Cinnamon) by using Mint4win and installing it to another partiton on my hard drive, I have now successfully dual booted it with windows 7 on my laptop. My laptop is a few years old and it has a AMD Turion dual core processor running at 1.9Ghz and 2GB of RAM. And a 5400RPM HDD. But Linux Mint can only use 1.8GB of RAM because I think my Graphics Card which has 256MB dedicated ram, Shares some memory or something (I only get 1.8gb ram on windows too). I have a iPod Nano with 8GB Flash Storage, On Windows 7 there is something called readyboost where I can use all of the 8GB as a bit like extra RAM. I did see an performance increase. And right now linux is going a little sluggish so I was wondering if I could put a SWAP File on my iPod partition or something?

Thanks.

Also, How can I change the colours of my theme? I like the default mint theme but instead of it all being green I would like blue :) and how do I get the menu and panel to be transparent?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: SWAP Space

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
oobetimer

Re: SWAP Space

Post by oobetimer »

Actually 1.8 GB ram should be enough for Mint, but if you want an extra swap, you can make a swap-file. I am not quite sure how it works with mint4win, but with the normal installation it works fine .. :wink:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-add- ... ile-howto/

Return to “Installation & Boot”