Will the grub work if I install Mint over Ubuntu?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Will the grub work if I install Mint over Ubuntu?

Postby mj52730 on Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:55 pm

This may have already been covered here at some point, but I can't find it. I currently have my laptop dual booting Vista & Ubuntu 7.10. If I install Mint over the Ubuntu install, will the Grub install write over the Ubuntu settings in favor of the Mint install or do I have to restore the MBR in Vista & then install Mint? I have heard a few stories about people deleting their Ubuntu partition & not restoring the MBR & bricking their machine, (which I almost did!) so I thought I'd ask. Thanks!
mj52730
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Will the grub work if I install Mint over Ubuntu?

Postby jdgiotta on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:06 pm

I've did and it was no problems what so ever. The grub boot will just configure for the two bootable regions. So there won't be an Ubuntu option if its gone.
High-five to those who read this.
psn:jdgiotta
jdgiotta
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mj52730 on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:07 pm

Excellent! Thank you!!
mj52730
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:12 pm

mj52730,

What you are proposing should work just fine. But if you do make a mistake and mess up your grub, don't panic. Grub can usually be fixed without much difficulty. No need to reinstall because of a messed up grub. Just come back and ask and someone will be glad to help you.

If you have access to only the one computer, you can use the Mint live cd to return. Or, you can download a small fast live cd like Puppy Linux to use as a back up. The beauty of that is that it runs completely in ram, is fast, and doesn't need the hard drive or cd drive once loaded. I use Puppy shard 3.01 as a backup and tool kit. It is only 155MB.

http://tmxxine.com/Wikka/wikka.php?wakk ... xxineShard

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Zen Mod on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:46 am

Just installed Mint over Kubuntu. Mint replaced Kubuntu in the grub list. Ubuntu and xp remained on the grub list, just where they were before Kubuntu went bye.
Everything has an end, sausages, however, have two...Image
Zen Mod
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot