Dual booting again solved

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Dual booting again solved

Post by keithp »

Sorry folks, but here is another dual booting problem.

I have just had a sort out on my computer and have ended up with two internal hard drives. (Previously I was using caddies).

Drive hda has just WindowsXP on.
Drive hdb has just PCLinuxOS on with GRUB on its MBR.

I select which hard drive to boot, with the F8 key when the computer boots up.

Now, I want to add Linux Mint to hdb, the idea being that I still use the F8 key to boot from the second hard drive, and then I have the GRUB menu to chose between the two Linux distros.

I know that, on installing mint, I can resize the PCLOS partitions to make room for Mint, but where do I put Mint's GRUB? On the first sector of the Mint installation? On the second disk's MBR and let it overwrite the PCLOS one? I definitely want to keep the F8 key selection, as I don't want to touch the XP disk. Messing it up and having to reinstall XP fills me with dread. :(

Sorry if this had been answered in the archives, but I can only find postings about dual booting with Windows.

Many thanks for any advice.

Keith
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Dual booting again

Post by Husse »

Well Ubiquity, the Ubuntu installer which we also use, is very kind to distros already on the drive and lists them all nicely for use in grub - about the only installer I know that does that.....
So put grub in the MBR of the second disk, which will be (hd1)
The selection is made on the last screen of the install where it's all summed up. The advanced button in the lower right - unfortunately not a very prominent location and people do tend to miss it.
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Dual booting again

Post by keithp »

Husse.

Thank you very much for your reply.

You have given me the information I need, so here goes at installing Linuxmint again.

Cheers

Keith

Return to “Installation & Boot”