Complete newbie can't get the liveCD working.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Complete newbie can't get the liveCD working.

Postby Beta-1 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:19 am

Am just starting out with linux - I'm shortly about to get another PC and I don't want windows on it so I'm trying to get my head round how it works on one of my other PCs.

I have the linux mint 4 light liveCD that came on with linux format may 2008 mag but I cannot get it to boot to a desktop.

If I boot from the CD I get to the boot menu but if I choose the first option I sit watching the splash screen for a bit then get dumped to a black screen with a flashing cursor. Eventually this changes to the "Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode" screen. From there I can choose configure and set 800x600 61hz, and test it and thats OK - this is with the default VESA driver.

If I click "OK" I go back to the black screen/flashing cursor for a bit and nothing happens.

Ctrl-Alt-Del exits but any other keypress either does nothing or produces a beep.

Running in safe mode gets the same result.

Have looked at the wiki and tried and tried the troubleshooter but I'm not getting anywhere.

Only thing I've come up with is if I turn off the splash screen the last message before things stop is "Running local bootscripts (/etc/rc.local) [OK]

If I press enter then I get to a mint@mint:^$ prompt and have no idea what to do next.

I cant boot the CD on my laptop so its not a media problem...

PC : intel 2.8ghz dual core on a Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H mobo. nvidia 8800GT 512Mb graphics card, 2Gb ram
Beta-1
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Complete newbie can't get the liveCD working.

Postby Beta-1 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:33 am

I'm an idiot.

sudo gdm

problem solved
Beta-1
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Complete newbie can't get the liveCD working.

Postby PeteinSanDiego on Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:42 pm

On the Gigabyte MB; Were you able to find a Linux driver for the Ethernet? I have not been able to use this board without an add-in RealTek Ethernet card. Any install that needs net access fails. Let me know.

Pete
PeteinSanDiego

Return to Installation & Boot