Daryana----Strange

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wesireal

Daryana----Strange

Post by wesireal »

I got the latest release 4 and decided to try it out as Live cd.

It started to boot and came apoint where it said ;

Remove disk from the tray, close tray and press Enter to continue.

I did exactly that.

First the monitor switched off and then the pc! What gives???

I am a complete newbie as well as old retired not bright and very slow person. Please help me by using simple english language, if possible. Thanks in advance.

I have;

Dell Dimension E521--Dual core amd processor, nvidia 7300LE, 3GB ram,Dell tft 19" monitor. :|
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Daryana----Strange

Post by Husse »

Don't "downgrade" yourself just because you're old - so am I (well, sort of anyway)
This is a first one if I understand you right
Remove disk from the tray, close tray and press Enter to continue.
This is exactly the message you get after a successful install...
I guess a bad CD
Did you check the md5sum and burned slowly?
In windows you have to use third party software for the md5 check
http://www.blisstonia.com/shareware/WinMD5/
Fred

Post by Fred »

wesireal,

Don't despair, there are several of us seniors here, as Husse said. You are in good company. :-)

If you want to discuss slow.... I ran a 100 yd. dash with my granddaughter last week... If all goes well, I will cross the finish line by next Saturday afternoon. lol

Fred
wesireal

Post by wesireal »

Thank you all.

I tried again, this time I got a blue blank screen (I tried in Safe Graphics mode) I waited quite a while and then for some reason I can not explain, I pressed Esc! and viola I was on the desktop!!!!

I will now go and have a new pc made so that I can install it permanently (the Dell will go to a youngster).

Any ideas as to which Motherboard I should use? :mrgreen:
Fred

Post by Fred »

ed@Mint,

My Mother, thank the Lord, is still with us at 94. I don't think I am having much success with her either. According to her, e-mail is for kids. Proper adults write letters, cards, and thank you notes and put them in the mail box. She says it will say the same thing a week from now as is does 10 seconds from now.... No need to get in a hurry.

I must admit she does have a point. :-)

Fred
Fred

Post by Fred »

wesireal,

If you are going to go get another computer, I would suggest you take a known good Live cd with you and boot it up in the store or computer shop before you buy it. Nvida graphics usually have better support in Linux, so you might keep that in mind.

Tell the guy/gal/kid that in order to buy it will have to boot this CD ok..... Don't let them sing you a bunch of crap.... because they most certainly will try. No Boot... No sale. :-)

Fred

Remember, us old folk's deserve to be grumpy and hard to get along with once in a while.... We earned it!
Husse

Post by Husse »

then for some reason I can not explain, I pressed Esc! and viola I was on the desktop!!!!
The KDE version by any chance?
I have noted that there is some bug that makes the desktop in the live CD not appear until a key is pressed - not always and that's perhaps the really odd part of it

Return to “Installation & Boot”