Bootable Floppy[SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Bootable Floppy[SOLVED]

Postby willy_36 on Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:32 pm

Hi,

I was just wondering if there is a way to boot to a usb drive without using bios. I know there are floppys that will boot you to linux but I just need something that I can boot to and then have it start up my grub on the usb. I've been looking around and have found how to make a grub floppy but is that what I want? Am I making sense here? Can anybody point me in the right direction or tell me if this is even possible. I have used some instructions from pendrivelinux.com that could do something of what I'm describing but it was distro specific and only worked with lilo and that distro. Any help would be... well, helpful.

thanks,
Last edited by willy_36 on Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willy_36
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Bootable Floppy

Postby Fred on Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:39 pm

willy_36,

There are at least a couple ways you can go about it. To my knowledge there is no sure fire way to boot to a usb drive that works with all equipment.

You didn't say if you had a cd drive. If you do I would first try downloading and burning the iso of "Supergrub." Try using this cd to boot the usb drive. I have had very good luck booting systems in strange places with "Supergrub."

You can also do whats called chainloading from grub. Especially if "Supergrub" works, you can expect chainloading to work. You might want to look at the below thread for more details.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=10043&start=30

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby willy_36 on Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:35 pm

Worked like a charm... this was exactly what I was looking for... You are awesome :D

willy_36
willy_36
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:04 pm

willy_36,

I am glad it worked out well for you sir.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Installation & Boot