Dual Boot and menu.lst

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Dual Boot and menu.lst

Postby antiquexray on Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:47 pm

Hi. I haven't been very active in the forums lately because I haven't had to be; Mint just runs and runs and runs :D However, I recently had a small problem I need to help with. I setup my Dell Inspiron as dual boot machine because I found I occasionally needed a M$ OS; that's before I learned how to run XP with Virtualbox. I must have particularly angered the MS gods one evening because the next morning I awoke to XP and a serious Explorer problem. No big deal 'cause I still have it on the Virtual Machine. I got the files I needed using Mint from XP partition, used gparted to repartition it to an ext3, and reclaimed about half my disc space. All is happy except when I boot I still get the option of running XP; which I can't.

So here's my question. Below is the very end of my menu.lst. What I want to know is if I comment out, or delete, everything after
"### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST" will the option to dual boot go away, or will I hose the system? Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
# ones.
title Other operating systems:
root

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sda1
title Microsoft Windows XP Professional
root (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual Boot and menu.lst

Postby Fred on Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:46 pm

antiquexray,

You hit the nail on the head. :-)

Just comment everything out starting with:

# title Other operating systems:
# root

etc.....

You might also want to reduce the default timeout. I think it defaults to 15 seconds. It can be reduced if you wish.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Installation & Boot