Dual Boot and menu.lst

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Dual Boot and menu.lst

Post by antiquexray »

Hi. I haven't been very active in the forums lately because I haven't had to be; Mint just runs and runs and runs :D However, I recently had a small problem I need to help with. I setup my Dell Inspiron as dual boot machine because I found I occasionally needed a M$ OS; that's before I learned how to run XP with Virtualbox. I must have particularly angered the MS gods one evening because the next morning I awoke to XP and a serious Explorer problem. No big deal 'cause I still have it on the Virtual Machine. I got the files I needed using Mint from XP partition, used gparted to repartition it to an ext3, and reclaimed about half my disc space. All is happy except when I boot I still get the option of running XP; which I can't.

So here's my question. Below is the very end of my menu.lst. What I want to know is if I comment out, or delete, everything after
"### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST" will the option to dual boot go away, or will I hose the system? Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
# ones.
title Other operating systems:
root

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sda1
title Microsoft Windows XP Professional
root (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Dual Boot and menu.lst

Post by Fred »

antiquexray,

You hit the nail on the head. :-)

Just comment everything out starting with:

# title Other operating systems:
# root

etc.....

You might also want to reduce the default timeout. I think it defaults to 15 seconds. It can be reduced if you wish.

Fred

Return to “Installation & Boot”