install without liveCD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

install without liveCD

Postby Huntered67 on Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:35 pm

hi there. i was wondering is there anyway to install mint 4.0 without having to boot from the actual live cd?

i think there is something wrong with my firmware or something that it wont boot me correctly (after days of tireless technical support and forum crawling). the final solution i have found might work in my head is if i somehow boot with my ubuntu liveCD (it works, confused? right?) and download an installer for mint or something like that

just wondering if thats at all possible
I before E, except after C.... weird
Huntered67
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: install without liveCD

Postby proxima_centauri on Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:18 pm

There is no executable install files you can download if thats what you mean. It's strange that Ubuntu loads and Mint doesn't. You're sure that the Linux Mint 4.0 liveCD you made burned correctly?
You can always try a USB install http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/10/31 ... m-windows/ if your computer can boot from USB, and you have Windows.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby McLovin on Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:40 pm

Check your download md5, if that is correct, try reburning the cd using the slowest speed possible, then try to boot from the cd again. if that doesn't work, then try the usb install, but I have no experience with that method.
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Huntered67 on Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:34 pm

i have reburned at the lowest speed 2 times, with checked md5sums... no luck, even with the disc i used the first time i ran live and installed (i know, its weird)

the solution i found was to go to my friends house, plug up my HD and boot/install on his machine, which worked... but now im having troubles as when it starts up, and i select the linux mint kernel, it spits me out to a terminal-like CLI... im very confused and sad
I before E, except after C.... weird
Huntered67
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot