Linux mint 4.0 main CD won't boot into gnome

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Linux mint 4.0 main CD won't boot into gnome

Postby Corban on Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:03 am

I have a problem....i can install linux mint because i can't boot into gnome from the live cd it boots into command line but thats it. i get no desktop. I could do it in a virtual machine using VirtualBox but not on the host PC. my specs are. Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz, 5.5GB RAM (and yes i know that mint is only 32bit and will only pick up 3.5gb of it.).the same is said with th Ubuntu distro. it would load either. i'm currently on openSUSE 10.3 x86_64. If you need any other information i will gladdly give it...i really want to move to the mint distro..

Thank you in advance.
Corban
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux mint 4.0 main CD won't boot into gnome

Postby sundayrefugee on Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:16 am

Have you tried the "safe graphics" mode, and the "noapic" and "nolapic" cheat codes?
sundayrefugee
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Corban on Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:54 am

I have tried the safe graphics mode but not the cheats...and oh yeh i have an ATi Radeon X1600 Pro 512MB so its not like my video card can't handle it....for some reason my pc doesn't like live cds....or the live CDs i make don't like my computer. how do i use those cheats?
Corban
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Cai on Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:11 pm

I'm having the same problem. I get the Linux Mint splash screen, it loads for a couple of seconds, then it sits at the command line. I've already tried the safe graphics mode - it does the same thing.
Cai

Postby Cai on Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:47 pm

Cai wrote:I'm having the same problem. I get the Linux Mint splash screen, it loads for a couple of seconds, then it sits at the command line. I've already tried the safe graphics mode - it does the same thing.

To add to this, I just tried the "noapic" code, and got several screens of text, and was then dumped back to the command line. After sitting there for almost a minute, I got a couple error messages (ACPI error, it says). So I used "acpi=off", and it went back to the command line one more time.

This is getting frustrating.
Cai

Postby Corban on Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:53 am

Yeh, i just decided to give up on the liveCDs they only seem to work in VirtualBox for me. so i stuck with my openSUSE 10.3 x86_64 DVD...I was really looking forward to Linux Mint too. i like the menu layout very functional. And it's overall eye-candish which i like.
I can still enjoy it in VirtualBox tho

thnx for your hard work Linux Mint Team. you've made a nice distro
Corban
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sundayrefugee on Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:42 pm

Wow, you gave up awefully quickly. There was more work to be done. That was just culprit #1 ;) But OpenSuSE is a heck of a distro. I'm a contributor to it myself.

If you decide to try Mint again, don't be shy :D
sundayrefugee
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Corban on Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:48 am

Well, i'm not usually one to give easily. especially with computers...i mean when i went from Vista to linux for desktop effects it took me 3 weeks of trial and error to get them working....with a hell of a lot of formats and re-installs (in case your wondering why i formatted and re-installed Linux like 12 times in 3 weeks, it was becoz i had no real knowledge of linux so format and re-install was the easiest method to fox anything i have broken.)I have since learn't. and i'm now realizing just how versitile linux is. But i still love my eye candy, which at my very first impression (b4 AIGLX or XGL was around) was of a very not 'pretty' looking desktop. but i much enjoy it now...I'm trying to convert others as well i love linux that much.....just trying to get all the media (codex) sorted out.
Corban
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Dutchmaster on Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:20 am

Don't know if this comes close to solving your problem or even applies, but I'll offer it anyway.

When I load the Mint Livecd, sometimes I have to cut my laptop off completely (plug and battery unplugged), wait 10 seconds, and boot from scratch. Then I don't get the error you spoke of.

Good Luck!
Dutchmaster
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot