Will grub find other os

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Will grub find other os

Postby sirray14 on Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:18 am

Hi,
I am new to linux. I have 2 sata drives on my pc, I would like to know if I install Linux Mint on one which is currently blank, the other has SLED 10 on it (paid for 1 years support before the deal with MS) will the boot loader automatically pick up the other os on the other drive or will I have to edit grub which is not something that I am competent at having never done any work in the command line, I have read through all the posts on this site but it doesn't seem to answer my question, also if I switch my pc off when I am finished using am I going to have a gui when I start it up the next day, I tried suse 10.1 and 10.2 and I continually lost my gui and there was no way to start it using the supplied disks at my disposal, ended up formatting the drive and it's been blank for a month now. Thanks in advance for any info. One of the best live cd's I have seen.
Asus A8N-VM-CSM
Athlon 3200+
1gig Ram
Nvidia 6200 with TC
sirray14
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby manishk on Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:54 am

In general, GRUB does find other OS's like Windows etc...but I've no idea about Sled.

Do you get a GUI on running from the Live CD??
manishk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby sirray14 on Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:47 am

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, have gui from live cd, it's just seems to be a problem with suse, I used it for a few days then I would start it one morning and no gui, same thing happened with 10.1 and 10.2, no amount of help from the forums fixed the problem so I left suse alone, sled 10 has been no problem but it is extremely slow, 5mins to boot and at least 40seconds to open an application, that's the reason I am looking at other distro's, if mint doesn't lose it's gui it looks like an installation is immenent, it looks the goods, my hat off to the developers.
Thanks again
sirray14
Level 1
Level 1

Postby arjay on Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:37 pm

Just for your info, I installed Bianca and it picked up my ubuntu install correctly - which is on a second drive. Hope this helps.

arjay
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Husse on Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:20 am

Grub will find the other OS. You may want to change the behavior of grub after install which (also) is really simple
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby sanguinemoon on Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:28 pm

Here's something that I thought was amusing. When I installed Mint, Grub even found an unsuccessful OpenSuse install that forgot about. :lol:
sanguinemoon
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Boo on Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:00 am

I installed mint on my laptop the other day and it (grub) found my sled10 and winXP installs. and they still work LOL.
:lol:
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby desertViking on Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:05 pm

Based on the information in this thread, I trusted the installer and it did find my other installation. It would be *nice* if the installer text could be modified to indicate this behavior.

Even nicer would be to allow grub to be skipped and let me add the boot options myself, but this would probably cause some difficulties for those who didn't know how to modify grub.
desertViking
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bob on Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:05 pm

The Debian based distros really do the best job of identifying any other distro correctly, but I wish that the Ubuntu variants would easily allow you to put grub on the root partition instead of insisting on overwriting the mbr.
bob
Level 1
Level 1

Postby varaonaid on Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:33 pm

Thanks for this thread. It answered one of my main questions on getting mint installed on my laptop.

Sounds like the mint installer is excellent and uber simple. Fantastic. Can't wait for the KDE version!
varaonaid
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot