Completing The Installation?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Completing The Installation?

Postby TheSpokesman on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:34 pm

Can anyone help with this?

I used the DVD 64-bit to install Mint-4-Win. At the end of the installation process I was prompted to restart to complete the installation. I did this and Linux booted as a "live user" and not my admin account. Now, whenever I boot in from my dual-boot screen I still get that "Logging in to complete the installation" after selecting Linux on the boot menu.

What do I need to do to complete this installation because it looks to me like I am still running a Live DVD even though I don't have it in.
TheSpokesman
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Completing The Installation?

Postby karlchen on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:26 pm

Hello, TheSpokesman.

If you had performed a Wubi installation of Ubuntu 12.04.1 64-bit, Wubi would have rebooted and automatically started the real Linux installation.
Sadly, for some unknown reason, Mint4win will not do the same when installing Mint 13 x64. I.e. having finshed the preparatory work under Windows, Mint4win will reboot the machine. The Linux Mint live system will come up. But the real Linux Mint installation will not be launched automatically.
Therefore, you will have to do so yourself.
This means, when the live system has started up,
  • on the Live System Desktop click on the icon labelled "Install Linux Mint" in order to proceed with the installation.
  • Follow the instructions on the screen.
  • In particular make sure that you select /dev/loopX as the target for the root.disk (ext4 file system of your Mint installation) and the same /dev/loopX as the target for Grub. The "X" inside /dev/loopX will be 1 or 2 actually. It should be obvious when looking at the offered choices.
    Never ever allow Grub to go to /dev/sda on Mint4win installations!
  • Unless you have committed a mistake, the second phase of the Mint 13 installation should finish without any problems.
Next time you boot and select to run "Linux Mint", you should be running the fully installed system and you should be able to login as the user which you have created during the second part of the installation (see above)

Kind regards,
Karl
karlchen
Level 11
Level 11

Return to Installation & Boot