Black Screen on Maya

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Black Screen on Maya

Postby Rebecca_D on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:24 pm

Following my earlier post today I was so disillusioned that I looked around for another Linux distro and have managed to install PCLinuxOS without any problems at all. I am so impressed with the system and especially the installation wizard (even told me when I had my caps lock on!!) that I will now install it on my laptop and be rid of Microsoft forever posting.php?mode=reply&f=46&t=115991#. Sorry MINT, you may have lots of admirers, but you can count me out.
Rebecca_D
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby bird2010 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:16 pm

@eMcE: My system works now and these lines have not changed. At the same time, I want to thank you for assisting. I appreciate your willingness to help.

@Rebecca_D: My system finally works! Here is what I learned.
* First, I want to tell you that you can run the Mint gui from the black screen by simply hitting the ctrl-alt-F8 key combination. This key combination flips you over to the gui from virtual terminal, which is the black screen that we see when Mint is fully loaded, but doesn't show the gui.
* Second, eanfrid was correct. The kernel that installs by default with Mint is a not good. As eanfrid stated in his post, you need to install a "more adequate kernel". You install the newer kernel by following these steps:

1) Click Menu on the bottom, left corner
2) Click the Package Manager, which is 5 items up (still in the System group)
3) A dialog box will ask you for your password
4) At the top of the next screen, you will see "Synaptic Package Manager". On this screen, type "kernel" in the Quick filter and then hit Search to the right of it
5) Right-click on "linux-headers-generic 3.2.0.32.35" and choose "Mark for Installation"
6) Right-click on "linux-image-generic 3.2.0.32.35" and choose "Mark for Installation"
7) Right-click on "linux-generic 3.2.0.32.35" and choose "Mark for Installation"
8) Click the Apply button near the top, left corner
9) Once everything finishes, close the Synaptic Package Manager and then shut down Linux Mint
10) You need to re-install Guest Additions. Here is a link in case you need help with this step: http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2 ... -hat-rhel/
11) Finally, you need to change the Desktop Settings. Click on Preferences in the middle column (Applications) and then click the Desktop Settings in the right column. I added the Trash to my desktop.

Once I finished this process, I turned off my computer for a few minutes (completely off). Then, I turned everything back on. The Linux Mint gui popped open with no problems.

Best wishes to you.
Last edited by bird2010 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bird2010
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bird2010 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:23 pm

Rebecca_D wrote:Following my earlier post today I was so disillusioned that I looked around for another Linux distro and have managed to install PCLinuxOS without any problems at all. I am so impressed with the system and especially the installation wizard (even told me when I had my caps lock on!!) that I will now install it on my laptop and be rid of Microsoft forever posting.php?mode=reply&f=46&t=115991#. Sorry MINT, you may have lots of admirers, but you can count me out.

I consider myself a Linux newbie like you. I like Linux Mint quite a bit, but I keep having annoying issues such that I cannot move off Windows 7. I looked at Fedora because it is a "version" of Red Hat and the big companies use Red Hat. I like the LInux Mint interface better. If you like the PCLinuxOS as a newbie, I may have to try it as well. Best wishes to you regardless of the distro that you choose.
bird2010
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bird2010 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:31 pm

I tried PCLinuxOS and it would not install on my machine. I could run the Live CD, but when I tried to install it, I got a weird error. Instead of fighting the weird error on PCLinuxOS, I am back with Linux Mint.
bird2010
Level 1
Level 1

Previous

Return to Installation & Boot