[SOLVED] Newbie didn't recognize Windows partitions in linux

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED] Newbie didn't recognize Windows partitions in linux

Postby kwatson512 on Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:39 pm

Hi, I'm a newbie, and want to install Linux Mint as a dual-boot on my Dell XPS 400 desktop, alongside Windows XP Home Media Center Edition. The live CD runs fine (and I ran the chksum to verify it was complete), but when I try to install, the only two choices I have for partitioning are "Guided, use entire disk" or "Manual." When I select "manual" it does show all three Dell partitions, but treats them as if they are empty. Needless to say, I have not installed anything. I need to preserve my Windows installation so my wife can continue to operate. (Hopefully she will enjoy Mint and we'll agree to migrate to it completely.)

My system configuration is as follows:
Dell XPS 400
Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz
2GB RAM
160GB HDD
3 partitions
- NTFS [C:] 144GB (32.55 used)
- FAT16 39.19MB (7.167 MB used [EISA configuration])
- FAT32 4.956GB (4.511 MB used [Concurrent DOS, CTOS])

I believe the two FAT volumes are Dell Restore and Dell Utility.

The Mint partition menu identifies the existing disk as SCSI3 (0,0,0)(sda) - 160.0 GB ATA

The manual menu offers these partitions:
/dev/sda
/dev/sda1 fat16 /media/sda1 41MB (33MB used)
/dev/sda2 ntfs /media/sda2 154635 MB (34900 MB used)
/dev/sda3 fat32 /media/sda3 5321 MB (4800 MB used)

The only two choices I have are "new partition table" or "undo changes to partitions". I clicked on "new partition table" but it looked like it was going to format the entire disk, so I quit installation at that point. I don't know enough to dig deeper without help.

I have a second HDD I can enable (empty 500 GB SATA) (BTW, the current one is also SATA, not SCSI), but I'm concerned that if I install Mint on it Grub will still not recognize the Windows partition. But I should have plenty of room on the current disk to dual boot.

What does anyone suggest?

[UPDATE]: Successfully installed Mint Daryna on sdb:
sdb1 30 GB /
sdb2 2 GB swap
sdb3 468 GB /home

Now it's just a matter of getting some drivers installed.
Thanks,
Ken
Last edited by kwatson512 on Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 16 64-bit Cinnamon, Lenovo ThinkPad T430s, 8GB RAM
kwatson512
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installer doesn't recognize Windows partition

Postby newW2 on Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:46 pm

Welcome to Mint. You'll have to resize the sda2 (the 160GB partition). You get the selection to Edit Partition after selecting Manual and then forward. I can't tell if you are looking at following the User Guide or not, however, this is very well explained in the Linux Mint user guide : http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... ide_v1.pdf
Post back if you still need help.
Btw, it isn't uncommon for Sata to be identified as a SCSI.
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Installer doesn't recognize Windows partition

Postby kwatson512 on Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:11 pm

I guess I didn't understand the syntax, and was afraid to hit "Forward" without knowing what would happen next.

I've now successfully installed Mint on sdb (a 500GB HDD), leaving 30GB for root, 2GB for swap, and the rest for /home.

I'm have a great deal of difficulty with a couple of things (sound card driver, scanner driver, Firefox and Thunderbird profiles).

I'm not familiar with Terminal, and don't know why I don't have permissions to write to some folders.

Ken
Mint 16 64-bit Cinnamon, Lenovo ThinkPad T430s, 8GB RAM
kwatson512
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Installation & Boot