Installation

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
owend

Installation

Post by owend »

Hi, I'm trying to look at Mint 4.0 on Linux Format magazine's (LFX105) coverdisk, May 08, with a view to replacing Vista. I've played with Linux before, and tried several distros, but I got a new (laptop) computer recently: Acer Travelmate 7510, AMD Turion 64, NVIDIA GeForce Go 6100 Chipset, 1Gb RAM, runs Vista HP.

Problem: it won't let me in, even to look at the live disk. A very quick line flashes up for about a tenth of a second saying "unknown keyword in config file", then it hangs, usually after half a minute or so, when it's greenbarring. I've tried all sorts of extra commands as suggested on the forum, no help so far.

I've also tried Ubuntu 7.10 from the LFX100 coverdisk - same problem, and it worked on my old desktop. Maybe I shouldn't have updated the computer!

Is it the processor? Chipset? Any suggestions very welcome! :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Installation

Post by Fred »

owend,

I would not jump to conclusions about your hardware, based on a magazine cd. I am aways skeptical of the give-away cds in magazines. You really never know what might be on them.

If I were you, I would download Mint 4, Gnome or KDE version, from this website. Burn the cd/dvd slow, 4X but no faster than 8X, in a RAW mode, usually listed as DAO, TAO, or SAO. Remember to burn as an iso. Then check the md5 sum with the one published on this website.

Then you have a reasonable expectation that the cd/dvd is good and authentic.

Fred

Return to “Installation & Boot”