no bios, just blue screen

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

no bios, just blue screen

Postby minux lint on Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:08 am

I installed linux mint 13 mate 64bit on my system and when I try to enter the boot menu I get a blue sreen with a small black square in the middle.In the bottom right corner of the screen its says "D5". mint loads up fine, is this even a problem?
minux lint
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: no bios, just blue screen

Postby viking777 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:48 am

Your title mentions a problem with the bios, your text mentions a problem with the boot menu.

Which is it that has the problem?

If it is the bios then it has nothing to do with Mint because Mint hasn't even started to boot at the time you access the bios. If it is indeed the boot menu which you can't access then the next question would be, is Mint the only distro on the machine? If so, you don't even need to see a boot menu, set the GRUB_TIMEOUT value to zero in /etc/default/grub. Of course that is not a fix, just a workround and only works if you don't have to boot other distros on the same machine.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Re: no bios, just blue screen

Postby minux lint on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:34 pm

I cant understand it. I did nothing to fix it but it seems to have fixed itself. I got a blue screen three times in a row when i switched the computer on. It hasn't happened again.... fingers crossed. thanks
minux lint
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot