UpGrade from 13 to 14 via Update Manager

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

UpGrade from 13 to 14 via Update Manager

Postby hazz on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:49 am

Hi.
I am fairly new to Mint but have used Ubunty for some time.
My question is whether it is possible or will be possible soon to use the update manager to up date from mint 13 to mint 14 without the need for a completely new install.
The Ubuntu environment as I recall allowed this upgrade path between successive versions.

Regards
hazz
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: UpGrade from 13 to 14 via Update Manager

Postby karlchen on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:27 am

Hello, hazz.

The official upgrade strategy for Linux Mint has been explained here by Clem: How to upgrade to a newer release. Clem's answer to your question consequently would be: no, you cannot use the Mint Updater in order to perform a distribution upgrade.

There is, however, a way of imitating the Ubuntu behaviour by following this tutorial: Upgrade linux mint in-place using apt. I.e. you canot use Mint Updater, but you can use apt commands (commandline) or Synaptic (GUI) in order to achieve your goal.

I do wonder, however, whether replacing Linux Mint 13, a stable release which will be supported until April 2017, by a short lived interim version like Mint 14, which at this point in time only exists as a release candidate, is a wise idea at all. - Yet, this is your decision.

Kind regards,
Karl
karlchen
Level 12
Level 12

Return to Installation & Boot