Installation went wrong. Linux mint 13 not installed

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frozenking

Installation went wrong. Linux mint 13 not installed

Post by frozenking »

I installed linux mint and tried for a dual boot i.e. I selected option to install linux mint 13 cinnamon with windows 7 using usb boot. Linux mint usb installation was made using Unetbootin.
The installation all went correctly with default partitions selected by linux for win7 and mint 13.
But, when I restarted and selected linux mint 13 cinnamon the display was flickering rapidly and I was unable to do any thing in linux mint. I trial mode at start it worked correctly but after installation this problem occurred.
And after removing pendrive , it never started again.

Nothing was changed in windows 7. And I cannot locate any linux mint files in my system.

What would have gone wrong!!!

System :
P4 3.06ghz, 2gb ram and 160hdd with ati radeon hd 6450 1gb ddr3.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: Installation went wrong. Linux mint 13 not installed

Post by bigj231 »

You won't be able to see the linux files in windows without special software.
When you boot your computer, are you presented with a GRUB menu to select your desired operating system?. If you don't have that, then Mint did not install fully. Try reinstalling, and watch for errors with the installer.
When you reboot with the pendrive, you should see a list of options to boot. Select the "Verify Disk" or whatever it is called. If it has errors, you will need to recreate the install medium. You might also have to re-download the Linux Mint 13 ISO. You can check the MD5 hash of your downloaded ISO against the one on the download page on the website. If they are different, you will have to re-download the ISO.
frozenking

Post by frozenking »

Grub menu was displayed
The options were :
Linux mint 13 cinnamon (and something like sda)
Linux mint 13 recovery(and something like sda)
Windows 7 (and something like sda)

I verified md5 hash with the original; it matched with the original md5 hash file of linux mint 13 cinnamon.
I will reinstall it again and reply back the result here.

Thank you.
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

Can you access the command line from recovery mode? Try the "startx" command and report back the errors it gives.
You could try installing FGLRX from there. I would install it directly from AMD. There are plenty of write-ups on this subject. Most of the Ubuntu fixes will work with Mint as well.
It might be easiest to reinstall, but you could still have the same problem. I would download the FGLRX drivers while you are waiting for mint to install if you have a second machine.
frozenking

Post by frozenking »

I came to known the problem; it is related to graphics. Linux mint 13 cinnamon is installed perfectly and starting only with my onboard graphic card chipset i.e. Ati radeon xpress 200 but with my PCI-E card i.e. Ati radeon HD 6450 it is not starting. It is only showing a blank black screen only. I waited more then half hour thinking it would start with HD6450 card but it is not starting.

How to rectify this graphic problem?
And, is there any way to install linux mint 13 mate over cinnamon?
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

You will have a much more difficult time with installing. There are some articles devoted on how to install the FGLRX drivers with an Intel chipset. Search Google for hybrid graphics AMD Intel. Google Search. HERE is an Ubuntu Forums post regarding this issue.
I wish you luck with this. I was never able to get my hybrid AMD/AMD system working completely. I haven't heard many success stories with Intel/AMD systems.
frozenking

Post by frozenking »

I installed the Nadia cinnamon version and removed maya cinnamon. Linux started without any problem. The problem was with maya cinnamon version but nadia version is more stable and good without any problems.

Thanks for helping.
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

Glad you go it working. Could you edit the title of your original post to include [SOLVED]

Return to “Installation & Boot”