Mint install through Windows

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gothiccard

Mint install through Windows

Post by gothiccard »

HI new to this hope it is in the right place. Sorry if this has been asked before by others, but VERY NEW to Linux and need things explained very simply.

I installed Mint 13 through Windows, but it does not keep changes/updates when I reboot (same as using live CD). I have also tried Ubuntu WUBI and that does keep changes/updates.

Am I doing something wrong? or is this how the windows install works
As I really like the look/feel of Linux Mint 13, and want to give it a good try before I try to do a proper install.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Mint install through Windows

Post by Pierre »

how are you applying those updates?
- mint update
- synaptic
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
gothiccard

Post by gothiccard »

I used Mint update Manager
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, gothiccard.
I installed Mint 13 through Windows,
You have performed a Mint4win installation.
but it does not keep changes/updates when I reboot (same as using live CD).
You are experiencing the same problem which has been reported and solved in this thread e.g.: New Settings Not Persistent Between Boots

You will not experience the same problem when installing Ubuntu via Wubi, because Wubi manages to perform phase 2 of the Wubi installation automatically, whereas with Mint4win you have to click on "Install Linux Mint" manually. (The details can be found in the thread to which I pointed above.)

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
gothiccard

Post by gothiccard »

Okay thank you.

What I do not understand is, will I be able to uninstall this through windows at a later date if I decide to?

Sorry but I want to know what I am doing before I make a descison.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, gothiccard.

Provided you have used Mint4win in order to install Linux Mint you will be able to uninstall Linux Mint by
+ booting into Windows
+ going to Control Panel => Programs and Features
+ selecting "Linux Mint" and
+ choosing "de-install".
Cf. here, please: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#Uninstallation

Note:
Basically, Wubi and Mint4win are almost identical. Wubi installs Ubuntu on a Windows partition, Mint4win installs Linux Mint on a Windows partition. Therefore the Wubi Guide can be used for Mint4win as well.

Kind regards,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
gothiccard

Post by gothiccard »

Thank you very much

Return to “Installation & Boot”