Install as dual boot now and delete Windows later?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
theusername

Install as dual boot now and delete Windows later?

Post by theusername »

I recently installed Linux Mint for the first time on an old laptop which was very slow. Linux mint has made it so much faster and it is amazing.
After using it for a while, then reading this: http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/
I decided I wanted it on my main machine (which is a desktop computer)

The only thing stopping me right now from installing it is that I play games on my computer. its not amazingly fast or anything, so I cant play any new HD games so giving up gameplay wouldnt be too bad because I can still play some games and now Steam for Linux is coming out I can start using that.

I want to install it as a dual boot right now and then maybe delete Windows in the future when Steam for Linux comes out with better gaming compatibility.
Is this possible?
If so how would I do it? I would install Mint and choose the install alongside Windows option, and I would have a dual boot... But later on how would I delete windows and ensure it's deleted correctly?

I used Linux Mint 13 MATE desktop on the laptop so I will be probably sticking with that one if it matters in this. (64 bit)

Thanks!

Also one last question, if I install it as a dual boot but something goes wrong, how would I completely uninstall it (keeping windows) and ensure everything was properly deleted and it was like nothing happened? I dont want to mess up anything because Im not very advanced in using or installing this stuff. (First time using Linux )
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
keghn
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Install as dual boot now and delete Windows later?

Post by keghn »

Hi.
Use Gpart while inside Mint, or insall Mint, or another flavor of Mint over windows using
the third option in the Mint insall. It is "custom install" or "something else" install.
Then you will be able to boot into diferent linuxes.
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

theusername wrote:
... I would install Mint and choose the install alongside Windows option, and I would have a dual boot... But later on how would I delete windows and ensure it's deleted correctly?

... if I install it as a dual boot but something goes wrong, how would I completely uninstall it (keeping windows) and ensure everything was properly deleted and it was like nothing happened?...

Yes alongside.
Delete windows = reboot into live cd/usb and using gparted delete the windows partition and then expand the mint partition into that space.

Delete mint =reboot into live cd/usb and using gparted delete the mint partition and then expand the windows partition into that space. Then use a windows cd/dvd/usb in rescue mode to fix mbr. You'll need to google instructions but its simple.
keghn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by keghn »

Hi again.
Make sure that window not your boot partition.
From a terminal type:

fdisk -l

-l is lower case -L.
If you see a " * ", that is an astrus, or star next to sda1 and that is your windows partition. You
will have to change it over to your Mint partition. So you will have Mint as you boot partition and
it will having the grub boot table.
cra1g321

Post by cra1g321 »

Here's a link to a little tutorial i made about removing Windows from a dual-boot setup.
It's over 2 years old but i'm sure most of it, still applies to recent Linux Mint versions.

Might give you a better understanding of what you will need to do.

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/224
theusername

Post by theusername »

Thank you for the replies. they helped out

Return to “Installation & Boot”