Help with Installation, partitions, Hard drives, and others.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kraihavok

Help with Installation, partitions, Hard drives, and others.

Post by kraihavok »

Hello everyone, any help would be greatly appreciated

OK so I am trying to install linux Mint on to my computer. I have a 3GHz computer with 4 gigs of ram, and a pretty good video card (whos name escapaes me at the moment). It is also installed with 5 sata hard drives.

I went to install going from Windows (my old OS) to Linux Mint, I went into the partitions of the other drives and went erase the old NTFS partitions, and when I did it says that i need to set a mount point for a root folder (or something like that).

Also now it is no longer showing my five drives that i have installed it just shows the filesystem and 5 "generic storage devices" none of which i can access or open or anything.

Can someone please tell me how to do this right with multiple drives? I have looked all over and I cant find a thing

A step by step would be great if someone has it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: Help with Installation, partitions, Hard drives, and oth

Post by cwsnyder »

A step-by-step would be difficult without making the choices for you as to how you want your system configured.

Why do you have 5 sata hard drives? Do you want a RAID setup? If so, what version of RAID? See wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

If you don't want RAID, how do you want to utilize those disks? How did you use them under Windows? Do you want to duplicate your setup under Windows?

Why did you wipe the disks clean of their NTFS partitions?
kraihavok

Post by kraihavok »

I have 5 Sata Drives because I wanted extra storage - although to be honest i didnt even think about Raiding - I know what it is however I have just never utilized it and do not know how.

As far as utilization, I want to set them up as storage as that is what they were under windows - 5 separate drives for storage

I wiped them clean because I was experimenting with what to do - I know it was kinda dumb but there was nothing on those disks (as far as info goes) and I thought they werent being seen or utilized properly (for example creating these generic storage devices) because of the NTFS file system. I knew NTFS was windows proprietary so I thought linux didnt like it.

Any ideas on what to do first?
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

Can you see the drives from a live cd/usb ?
kraihavok

Post by kraihavok »

I am in the Live CD now and no sir I cannot see them. All I can see is my CD drive, the floppy drive (which I am pretty sure is my SD card drive because I dont actually have a floppy drive), a drive that says file system and 5 Drives that all say "generic storage device" on them with the USB symbols on the top
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

The 5 generic storage devices are probably your SATA drives, since you removed the partitioning. Since you wish to simply use the extras for data storage, you can simply install Mint on one drive, and after Mint is installed, partition and format the other drives as either NTFS (if you are going to make the drives available to another Windows installation as shared drives) or EXT3 or EXT4 for Linux use only.

Return to “Installation & Boot”