Reconfigure FSTAB and GRUB automatically?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frderek
Level 1
Level 1

Reconfigure FSTAB and GRUB automatically?

Post by frderek »

Basically my ATA133 controller died (slowly and painfully) so I unplugged those drives and installed Mint (my main OS) on a new SATA 500 Gb disk. Obviously during install it couldn't see my WinXP partition (used for a few proprietary things that I simply can't get working under wine) during install.

Since then I have rescued the (120 Gb) windows partition by using the secondary IDE (ATA33) and then partedmagic to copy it onto the SATA disk. All clear so far?

So now I have a (working) XP primary partition on sda (gparted sees it as /dev/sada1 as its the only primary on there) that wasn't there when mint was installed.

QUESTION 1: is there a program or CLI command sequence that will detect this partition and add it to fstab as a windows partition that will appear on my desktop? If not and I really have to hack fstab with sudo gedit what settings should I use?

QUESTION 2: mintInstall does a search for other OSes and writes them to the grub startup menu. Is there a program or sequence of CLIs that I can run to redo this and detect the new windows partition and add it to the menu? Present GRUB is in the mbr of sda, as you'd expect.

many thanks

Derek.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
frderek
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Reconfigure FSTAB and GRUB automatically?

Post by frderek »

frderek wrote:
QUESTION 1: is there a program or CLI command sequence that will detect this partition and add it to fstab as a windows partition that will appear on my desktop? If not and I really have to hack fstab with sudo gedit what settings should I use?
Bad form and all that but I've found the answer to this one by searching on "fstab" in synaptic. pysdm does the trick, invoked with 'sudo pysdm' it found the partition, said it wasn't configured and offered to do it. Restarted to find a disk called WinXP on my desktop. Result!

Return to “Installation & Boot”