Booting from USB

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jtaylor3222

Booting from USB

Post by jtaylor3222 »

Team,

I installed Xfce 13 on a USB stick. I'm able to boot to USB on my laptop just fine, but when I try it from my desktop, it doesn't boot up. It seems as if USB does not come up until the desktop is nearly booted. Is there a setting on the bios that I can adjust?

Regards,

John...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Booting from USB

Post by xenopeek »

Yes, check if there is a setting "fast boot", "quick boot" or something similar. Disable it. It shouldn't be an issue with an USB thumb drive, but may be a problem with (especially older) USB hard disks. Normally fast/quick boot would be enabled, but that may cause the computer to complete the boot before all USB attached devices are ready and detected. Then it would skip your USB... Also make sure POST / power-on self-test / startup diagnostic or similarly called is enabled.
jtaylor3222

Re: Booting from USB

Post by jtaylor3222 »

xenopeek wrote:Yes, check if there is a setting "fast boot", "quick boot" or something similar. Disable it. It shouldn't be an issue with an USB thumb drive, but may be a problem with (especially older) USB hard disks. Normally fast/quick boot would be enabled, but that may cause the computer to complete the boot before all USB attached devices are ready and detected. Then it would skip your USB... Also make sure POST / power-on self-test / startup diagnostic or similarly called is enabled.
This worked thank you. The problem is that the this made for some really slow operations. I'm running USB 2.0, I'll try again when I get a system with USB 3.0.

Thanks again,

John...

Return to “Installation & Boot”