Linux Mint 14 grub failure.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
poincare

Linux Mint 14 grub failure.

Post by poincare »

Hello,

I am new to Mint and am having a super difficult time trying to get this problem solved. I installed Mint 14 Cinnamon on my desktop but at the end of the install it reported "grub-efi failed to install into /target/" So I exited the install and chroot'ed into my Mint system an executed sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get install grub-efi grub-efi-amd64 grub-efi-amd64-bin along with grub-install. But that did not seem to do anything....

Now, I cannot boot into Linux Mint 14 and there is no other operating system installed on my hard drive. When I try to boot into Linux Mint 14, it just says "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".

If I reinstall Linux Mint 14 again, I get the same error. So, this is preventing me from installing -- but it seems other people have (u)efi errors too but no one seems to get an install.

My disk is GPT with the defaults from the Linux Minit 14 install. It looks like sda1 is 95M, sda2 480GB, sda3 swap.

Can anyone help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: Linux Mint 14 grub failure.

Post by wayne128 »

read this
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/858

and this
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=107620

and this
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UE ... RUB.282.29

for me, I take easy way out, format hard disk to legacy msdos format, then all will be well.
poincare

Post by poincare »

I viewed the links but they are highly technical for new users or they are speaking about Linux Mint 13 and not version 14.

Can't Linux Mint 14 just install on (u)efi desktop using the 64bit cinnamon dvd provided from the main Linux Mint web site? That is how I can install it because that seems most user friendly but as I mentioned before that does not install properly.

If users use msdos or mbr partitions instead of gpt or (u)efi mode, is there disadvantage to msdos/mbr when the user's desktop is really an (u)efi?

Isn't there a simple and easy solution for new users?
wylton

Post by wylton »

The easiest way is to convert your HDD from GPT partition table to MBR partition table (or MSDOS in Linux) and after that install your Linux Mint.

this is bad idea....

give us a slove, please!!!!
poincare

Post by poincare »

OK. It's a bad idea to convert GPT to MBR partition scheme. Thanks.

But does any one have (new) user-friendly suggestions for how to install Linux Mint 14 with (u)efi in a normal way, like using the Mint 14 installer or something like that?
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

There's a bigger thread here on this issue. (If a moderator is reading this, I recommend merging the threads or closing this one down to avoid duplication.)

I haven't yet tried Mint 14, but based on what I've read, it appears that its installer's EFI support leaves a lot to be desired. The thread to which I linked included Boot Info Script output from two users who had two very different problems despite the same symptoms. See my long post there for details.

Switching to MBR and a BIOS-mode boot is a practical option for many users, but this creates a lot of complications if the computer is already booting another OS in EFI mode. In such cases, doing a native EFI-mode installation is the best solution; but if the Mint installer is throwing fits over that, it creates a mess. The easiest solution in such a case is likely to be to try another distribution. In my experience, Fedora 17 has pretty good EFI support, so it may work better -- but even it isn't perfect.

Unfortunately, the transition from BIOS to EFI is proving to be a very bumpy one, for numerous reasons.

Return to “Installation & Boot”