[SOLVED] Can't boot into mint...not showing up in grub

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Music Guy123

[SOLVED] Can't boot into mint...not showing up in grub

Post by Music Guy123 »

Hi there,

I've been a linux user for about half a hear now, I must say I do like it, recently I have been forced to use windows though for program requirements and my laptop can't really keep up with windows running in virtual box! Anyway, the important bit! I have two HDDs, both WD scorpio blues (500GB). I have windows 7 on one drive, and ubuntu on the other. I've been desperate to install mint for a little while and only just got around to it. So, I'm using the latest mint with cinnamon. I went through the install, I gave it a 100GB parition from the same drive windows 7 is on. When I was asked to choose where to place the grub, I chose the same partition to which I was installing this mint. Anyway, long story short, I can't see mint in the grub, there is ubuntu, win 7 and the various mem tests but nothing else. Mint is installed somewhere in my laptop but I just cannot find it :( !!

I hope that makes sense, if it doesn't let me know, I can answer questions! I hope someone can help, it'll be much appreciated!

All the best,

Music Guy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Music Guy123

Re: Can't boot into mint...not showing up in grub

Post by Music Guy123 »

Got it sorted, spent a couple of hours with my friend (a linux guru) editing the files that say 'do not edit'...got it sorted eventually!
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

You need to run sudo update-grub on the ubuntu installation as this is controlling grub.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Music Guy123

Post by Music Guy123 »

remoulder wrote:You need to run sudo update-grub on the ubuntu installation as this is controlling grub.
Yup you are right, this was one of the things we had to do! I was trying to do it originally on the mint installation and wondering why it wasn't working! All good though now, everything solved :) !

Return to “Installation & Boot”