Boots to my desktop pick and not much else

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Boots to my desktop pick and not much else

Postby Mad Bob on Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:52 pm

Like the subject says, my first boot results in a blank tool bar and the desktop background. I have a mouse cursor which moves, but I cannot click, nor is there anything to click on. Things are fine when I restart, but I'd appreciate assistance in getting my system booting properly again. Possibly the recent update changed something?
Mad Bob
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Boots to my desktop pick and not much else

Postby Fred on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:13 pm

Mad Bob,

How did you update. Did you use the Mint update tool? Did you update or upgrade? Did you change any of the default repos, or add any repos that weren't there originally?

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Mad Bob on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:41 pm

I only use the mint update tool. Last time I updated my start menu had a setting get changed and would not close. I'm getting increasingly reluctant to update at all. No upgrades have been done. So far as I know, I have not changed anything, but a couple of days ago update called for three updates. I did not check carefully, but I believe there may have been one involving gnome? I am not sure. Hopefully something just needs to get reinstalled or a setting changed.
Mad Bob
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:08 pm

Mad Bob,

I don't know that I can help you much on this. Maybe Husse or someone else has a good idea or two.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Mad Bob on Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:25 pm

Thanks for trying. I've gotten a lot of help from this forum as opposed to others, but I really don't think this OS is working. I might try again with 5. I really hate XP, but I never had to get on any forums to fix issues.
Mad Bob
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:56 am

Mad Bob,

You installed XP out of the box on your computer yourself and didn't have issues? You are indeed lucky. :-)

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Mad Bob on Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:26 am

A couple of times actually. I don't think there is anything wrong with Linux or Mint, but I am now of the opinion I need to find a version that works better on my computer. I'll probably be back, but 3 and 4 were apparently not the answer I was hoping for. Lack of proper fan function and stable booting is troublesome. Thanks anyway though.
Mad Bob
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newW2 on Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:27 am

I'm trying to figure out what the path to this problem was. It almost seems like one of those problems that can happen when an upgrade is still using an old configuration file in home and things seem a little buggy.
You say you upgraded but that wasn't from one Linux Mint version to another. Anyway sometimes when you upgrade but use the same /home things can get a little strange.
As clem said here: viewtopic.php?f=143&t=6725&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=old+config+files
keeping your home partition basically means keeping your old configurations so when new software behaves the way old versions did and look funny consequently because they're not configured to take advantage of new improvements, you can't call that a bug since it's exactly what you went for.
I know it's not the exact thing and that isn't my intention to say it is; just trying to understand and this really looks like a configuration problem.
Thanks.
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Fred on Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:36 am

newW2,

Very good point, I didn't even think to ask that. Another thing it might be, but it is digging deep, is a bad cd. But that would be a real stretch.

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby newW2 on Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:09 am

Yes deleting all the .files in home is a brute force way of dealing with it, but I was thinking perhaps:
Code: Select all
gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/panel

remove the panel and then add it again.
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot