Lilo works...Grub doesnt

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Lilo works...Grub doesnt

Postby sbeyeforhire on Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:04 pm

Tried to install mint but Grub would not initiate...

I Installed Mandriva and Lilo worked fine

I dont want to use Mandriva, I want to use Mint.

How do I overcome this Grub boot loader issue?
sbeyeforhire
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Lilo works...Grub doesnt

Postby Husse on Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:13 pm

Well both grub and lilo are close to the hardware, so please tell us what you have
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby sbeyeforhire on Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:58 pm

Im not sure what you're asking me. I am still new to the linux particulars. Basically what happened was I was using Windows. On day it just stopped working right. I would log on, It would load my wallpaper but before the icons showed up It would log me back off. It would happen over and over. I tried the recovery disk but same thing.

Geek squad could not help me. It seemed the only option left was to buy a new windows. Deciding I was done dealing with microsoft I chose to go linux. My friend was helping me but every version we tried would give the a "GRUB Error". It was only when we tried mandriva that I was givien an option to boot with lilo. Chose that and it has been fine. However I want to use mint now but not sure how to get past the GRUB issue.

I am using a Toshiba Laptop QOSMIO F15R.
sbeyeforhire
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:31 pm

sbeyeforhire,
I am using a Toshiba Laptop QOSMIO F15R

I am afraid this might be your biggest problem. Did this computer come with Vista on it?

We MIGHT be able to work around this. If you are willing to play a bit we will try.

Fred

EDIT: Do you have anything on this computer now?
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby sbeyeforhire on Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:41 pm

I was a Referb. I bought from CompUSA Online. It was set up for XP. Why is toshiba the problem?

My friend wiped everything on there, repartitioned, and now just mandriva is there.
sbeyeforhire
Level 1
Level 1

Postby foggytown on Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:53 pm

sbeyeforhire wrote:Why is toshiba the problem?

Many folks claim that Toshiba does not play nice with Linux. I have a Toshiba laptop and I have installed many different distros without a problem, everything works out of the box except sound, and a quick edit of a config file fixes that.

Back on topic. The new Ubuntu is supposed to have increased hardware support, I would suggest trying that (you can always upgrade to Mint when the next release happens [maybe possibly in about a month])

Also what is on the screen when GRUB fails--is there an error message?

I see that Fred has offered to help and he is knowledgeable, patient, and persistent...he will certainly have good ideas, just keep in mind that the more information that you post the better your chances of solving your problem.

Oh yeah, stick with it...it really will be worth it.

Luck,
--john
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fred on Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:58 pm

sbeyeforhire,

Toshiba, has a close relationship to Microsoft. Some of their BIOSs don't play nice with Linux. Example; some of the latest versions that have come out with Vista pre installed sense when grub is present and automatically wipes the mbr and calls Vista to reinstall the Windows pointer. That's not very nice. :-)

I have seen other strange issues with Toshiba too. That's not to say that all Toshiba computers have problems. Some seem to run just fine but there seems to be no rhyme nor reason that I can see for the inconstancy.

Do you have another way to get on the internet, so we can still communicate, if we disable the Mandrake install?

Fred

EDIT: foggytown just made my point. :-)
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby sbeyeforhire on Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:20 am

I just uninstalled mandriva and installed Ubuntu. I'm using it now. Here's the problem. I had to put the disk back in to load it up. When I took out the disk after the install, I got that dumb error "GRUB Hard Disk Error". How can I fix this? I have no other way on the internet.
sbeyeforhire
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:42 am

sbeyeforhire,

Ok... Let's take care of first things first. You need to be able to get on the internet without problems regardless of the condition of the hard drive. Go to the link below and download and burn the iso of Puppy shard 3.01. It is a small live Linux cd that will run completely in ram. It is only 155MB and runs a lot faster than the big live cds. Burn it slow, 4X - 8X, in a RAW mode, usually Listed as TAO SAO or DAO.

Then go download and burn another live cd iso called Supergrub. You can Google and find it easily. We will be using this to boot with when needed.

Then come back online with Puppy. You will have to manually configure the Internet but it has a simple wizard that makes it easy. You can poke around in Puppy and see how stuff works. It is pretty simple. It reminds me of Win98 a little bit.

Post back when you are ready and we will go from there.

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot