[SOLVED]Problem Installing Linux to USB from ISO

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nath1194

[SOLVED]Problem Installing Linux to USB from ISO

Post by nath1194 »

Hi, I'm having the same problem as seen here about no root file system. I am using a 16GB USB with the ISO mounted on to it using UNetBootin. To solve the problem I have tried going in to GParted and sorting it however, as seen on the imagine from the other guys topic, the mount point on mine is /cdrom not simply /. However when I formatted my Usb and prepared two ext3 partitions (I'm following these instructions) I had to keep a FAT32 partition else I couldn't put the ISO on to the USB and my PC keeps prompting me to format to FAT32 (unless I'm doing it wrong).
Any idea's where I've gone wrong?

My aim is to boot Linux from my 16GB USB to an old hard-drive-less netbook I have and just use it to run a simple word precesser like OpenOffice so I can do some college work on it; I guess I'm trying to re purpose it as opposed to throwing it away.

Please, any help?
Nathan

PS: I may have missed some vital info, I'm just typing away before I loose patient with it...
Thanks again
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nath1194

Re: Problem Installing Linux to USB from ISO

Post by nath1194 »

BUMP
Any advise?
nath1194

Post by nath1194 »

nath1194 wrote:Hi, I'm having the same problem as seen here about no root file system. I am using a 16GB USB with the ISO mounted on to it using UNetBootin. To solve the problem I have tried going in to GParted and sorting it however, as seen on the imagine from the other guys topic, the mount point on mine is /cdrom not simply /. However when I formatted my Usb and prepared two ext3 partitions (I'm following these instructions) I had to keep a FAT32 partition else I couldn't put the ISO on to the USB and my PC keeps prompting me to format to FAT32 (unless I'm doing it wrong).
Any idea's where I've gone wrong?

My aim is to boot Linux from my 16GB USB to an old hard-drive-less netbook I have and just use it to run a simple word precesser like OpenOffice so I can do some college work on it; I guess I'm trying to re purpose it as opposed to throwing it away.

Please, any help?
Nathan

PS: I may have missed some vital info, I'm just typing away before I loose patient with it...
Thanks again
Any help please!
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

Please see http://usbtux.hostzi.com/How_to and specifically - Install a fully working system to your flash drive http://usbtux.hostzi.com/flash_install

Return to “Installation & Boot”