SOLVED LM 14/Cinnamon on HP Mini 311 - review partitions

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CorkVDH

SOLVED LM 14/Cinnamon on HP Mini 311 - review partitions

Post by CorkVDH »

I'm new to Linux, having primarily used MS-DOS/Windows machines since the mid-80's. To try Linux I chose to install Mint 14 on my HP Mini 311, (3 GB RAM, 160 GB drive). I intend to use this to determine if I can make Mint the primary OS for all my home PC's, including my wife's laptop, so I'll be playing with applications to see if I can cover all the bases in a manner that's acceptable to her.

For the first install, I let the installation program create it's own partitions and all went fine. After reading a great deal of conflicting advice regarding what partitions should be set up (some of which I actually understood!) I tried to reinstall multiple times with various combinations of partitions, but none of the installations succeeded. Finally, I created a new install "disk" on a USB stick and successfully installed into a set of custom partitions. Here's what I have:
sda1 487 MB /boot
sda2 1k ?
sda5 23.9 GB /
sda6 2.9 GB swap
sda7 121.9 GB /home

I know some of the partitions are likely the wrong size (the /boot and / partitions are too big, and the swap is either slightly too small or too big, right?) However, I just read another thread in which the advice was to have a /data partition rather than a /home. Keeping in mind that this is a test bed for me, is it worth redoing again?

I must say I am impressed with the performance of the system compared to Windows 7 Pro, and I'm having a blast learning about Linux. The support community is astounding.

Cork
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: LM 14/Cinnamon on HP Mini 311 - review partitions

Post by remoulder »

You do not really need a /boot partition unless you are planning to install lots of OSes and want to keep control of the boot. With 3GB ram you could get away without a swap unless you want to do something like video editing, a smaller swap between 128=512MB might be better as a safeguard anyway. Re separate home or data, it depends what you intend to do. If you are planning to share your data with another OS then use a /data partition with common filesystem and symlink documents, etc back to your home's Documents, etc, otherwise stick with a /home.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
CorkVDH

Post by CorkVDH »

Thanks, remoulder; I'll drop a spare HD in and redo without the /boot partition and with smaller /root and swap partitions. Interestingly, I think the default install created a relatively large swap area. I have that on the spare HD so I'll check it before overwriting with a fresh install, but I'm more interested in extra disk space than in hibernation mode. I think I'll drop the /root to 15 GB.

Again, thanks for the comments!
Cork
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

CorkVDH wrote:think I'll drop the /root to 15 GB
Sorry didn't notice your initial size. Yes 15 should be more than enough if you have a separate home partition, you could even get away with 10, my / is less than 4, but it all depends on what apps you install.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
CorkVDH

Re: SOLVED LM 14/Cinnamon on HP Mini 311 - review partitions

Post by CorkVDH »

I have begun testing applications for Kelly and suspect I'll need a larger than normal root as a result. Based on what I've seen so far with Mint/Cinnamon, I probably will not need to try different distributions, so I'm just going to focus on creating an environment my spouse can use with minimal effort/learning. Fortunately, she is sick of the blue screen of death and is ready to consider alternatives to Windows.

Thanks again for the comments and help!
Cork

Return to “Installation & Boot”