Linux Mint 14 isn't saving settings and data.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MRshadowlak

Linux Mint 14 isn't saving settings and data.

Post by MRshadowlak »

I'm new to Linux and wasn't sure if this was the place to post this topic, please point me in the right direction if I'm in the wrong place.

Down to business, I installed Linux alongside Windows 7 Ultimate. Everything works fine and is running smoothly. However, after I shutdown the computer and boot back in Linux simple seems to reset itself. None of the installed programs I had saved are present and must be re downloaded, and all settings have been reset to default.

Any help would be appreciated guys. :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Linux Mint 14 isn't saving settings and data.

Post by karlchen »

Hello, MRshadowlak.
Down to business, I installed Linux alongside Windows 7 Ultimate.
Hm. Did your really install Linux Mint on a dedicated disk partition? What you describe next suggests that you started an installation by running Mint4win from inside Windows.

If this is the case, then you will have stepped into the same trap as the starter of this thread, mint4win installation always reconfiguring Linux mint, and the starter of this thread, New Settings Not Persistent Between Boots, solution at the end.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

Its not realy installed - only installed the live cd. You need to run the installer on the desktop again to actually give you a installed version. - it doesn't make this clear at all, lots of people get caught out.
MRshadowlak

Post by MRshadowlak »

Hm. Did your really install Linux Mint on a dedicated disk partition? What you describe next suggests that you started an installation by running Mint4win from inside Windows.
No I didn't install it from inside Windows 7. I know about the issues with Mint4win and that's why I avoided it. Upon booting to Linux from the disc I clicked install and went through the installation. I selected my language, than selected install alongside Windows. Also, another thing to note, is that whenever I edit the Grub loader file to change the time out to 30 seconds instead of 10, it still goes back to 10 seconds, even after I've run update grub in the terminal. :?
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

MRshadowlak wrote:
another thing to note, is that whenever I edit the Grub loader file to change the time out to 30 seconds instead of 10, it still goes back to 10 seconds, even after I've run update grub in the terminal. :?
I have the same problem with my 64bit install. I cant get grub to differ even though the grub loader is altered and changes saved.
MRshadowlak

Post by MRshadowlak »

I think I may have located the problem, at the Grub loader, I have these options.

Linux Mint MATE 64-bit, 3.5.0-17-Generic (/dev/sda6/)
memtest x64
memtest x64 (serial xxxxx)
Linux Mint Nadia (14)
Advanced options for Linux Mint Nadia (14)
Windows 7 Ultimate (sda6)

I have on the odd occasion used the Linux Mint Nadia (14), Instead of Linux Mint MATE ...ect.
Could it be that somehow I have two installs of Linux Mint on my HDD? :shock:
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, MRshadowlak. Hello, usbtux.

You both state that you change the Grub configuration file, run

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
next, just to find out that Grub has reverted to is previous values.
Just to make sure that we agree on which file to edit before running

sudo update-grub
Could you please give the fully qualified filename of the Grub configuration file which you edit?

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, MRshadowlak.
No I didn't install it from inside Windows 7. [...] selected install alongside Windows.
Well, the symptoms which you described in your initial post, settings not preserved across reboots, program imstallations mysteriously undone across reboots, are thy typical symptoms which occur in all those cases where people perform the first phas of a Mint4win installation, but never realize that they have to launch "Install Linux Mint" manually next.

Currently I have got the impression that the problem really is just that modified Grub setting are reverted to their default values by running

sudo update-grub
This raises the question whether you edit the right file before running

sudo update-grub
(See my previous reply)

Kind regards,
Karl
Lifeline
lucky_r

Post by lucky_r »

Hi,Mr. Karl

I have same problem like these, please advise.

Any update about the solution for these I do the same installation but the settings and data not save. Im installed Linux Mint 14 Nadia along with Windows XP SP3.

Thanks.
Ru1K

Post by Ru1K »

I have similar problem but only with my sound card settings, everything else work fine, is just the sound card. Everytime I start the computer I have to change on sound settings from "Built-in Audio" to "Soundblaster", for some reason don't save the settings when I turn off the computer.

I installed Mint 14 Cinnamon 64 Bit. Don't have any other OS installed on my computer, just Linux Mint.
MRshadowlak

Post by MRshadowlak »

Hello Karl,

I can definitely confirm for you that I have installed it to a partition, I did run the installer from inside Linux Mint. I have also fixed my issue with the grub loader, just edited the file and updated grub twice from the terminal though I do not know why that would have worked. Also, as long as I select the first installation at boot, Linux Mint generic, my settings are saved and everything is as it was after reboot. I do not know why there is a second Linux installation at grub loader as I only installed once. However, I am completely wiping my laptop today, Windows 7 and Linux, and starting over, so that everything is in a proper order.

Thank you to everyone for your help :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”