First try on an old toshiba satellite laptop

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

First try on an old toshiba satellite laptop

Postby Kevanx on Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:39 pm

Hi friends,
So far, I've heard nothing but great things about this distro. I've been on linux for a year, and i'm actually trying to set up an old laptop for my grandmother's first computing experience (why not start with linux?).

Currently dual-boot with Ubuntu feisty and XP, and I want it to be solely linux. Mint seems like the natural one for a complete novice.

Previously, I ran into major issues trying to upgrade from feisty -> gutsy gibbon. Upon booting up, the grub & loading screens would occur, and then a black screen. The same thing seems to be happening with the Mint LiveCD.

BIOS loading is fine, then the "Start Mint" screen. Both the regular boot, and safe graphics mode lead to the same problem -> a black first screen.

I strongly suspect it is an xorg problem, but I really have no idea. CTRL-ALT-F1 does nothing.
So the question - can you help me, or should I try a slightly less "flashy" distro? Would it be worth trying kubuntu instead, to see if the issue lies with gnome?

Any help appreciated.
Cheers,
Kevan
Kevanx

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: First try on an old toshiba satellite laptop

Postby Kevanx on Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:44 pm

p.s. kernel 2.6.20-16-generic
Kevanx

Postby newW2 on Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:52 pm

Toshiba has a relationship with Microsoft, however since you have another Linux running already that is probably not the issue. Did you try the trouble shooting steps in the wiki?
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Kevanx on Sun May 04, 2008 1:21 pm

Thanks for the link to the wiki. I tried all the instructions, and a , but I strongly suspect it's a Compiz issue, so I opted to install Celena instead, and the install was probably the most effortless I've had since moving to Ubuntu. maybe if I'm feeling courageous, I'll upgrade and try and fix the problems in shell.
Kevanx

Postby jokersloose on Sun May 04, 2008 7:31 pm

What's the model number? I have an A105-S2231 Satellite and my install of Daryna went so smooth it was almost scary. The only thing I had to do was edit my alsa.base file in order to get the sound too work. Can't wait to see how the upgrade will run on it. I don't use compiz because it slows the system way way down. But this was built as a "work horse" and not so much multi-media (Doesn't mean I don't use it that way)

Was just wondering what one your trying Mint on.

James
jokersloose
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Installation & Boot