windows install issue

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jakePirrovich

windows install issue

Post by jakePirrovich »

I'm running windows 8 and created a second partition and have installed mint 14.
After reboot windows boot manger is showing windows failed to start.
file: \linuxmint\winboot\wuildr.mbr
info: the application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

when i get the option to run ether windows 8 or linux mint, after i select linux mint i then get returned to the same windows boot manger screen.
Being new to linux I'm already in way over my head, any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Just let me no if there is any more info i need to share.
I've attached a image of the screen.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: windows install issue

Post by Fornhamfred »

You do not say if you followed any instructions to dual boot Mint and windows 8 but this youtube video should help to explain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73APmLYHATw

Also if you google "dual boot linux mint and windows 8" you will get some very good advice.
jakePirrovich

Re: windows install issue

Post by jakePirrovich »

Thanks for the reply it put me on the right track.
I've managed to install it now. On start up i went into setup utility>boot, then disabled secure boot and set boot list option to legacy.
I have a Dell Inspiron and this was the only way i could get it to boot from a dvd. I couldn't even enter a BIOS menu!?
After saving the changes and restating, it automatically booted from the dvd and i could install as the video showed.

Return to “Installation & Boot”