Install from CD without running LiveCD?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Install from CD without running LiveCD?

Postby thartley on Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:47 pm

Is there a way to install Bianca without first running the LiveCD? What I mean is, I have the iso on CD, but I'd like to just install it without first running the LiveCD version. I didn't see anything in the choices to do this, but maybe I'm just missing something. I currently have Ubuntu Dapper installed, but I haven't tweaked it much, so I'd like to just install Bianca instead.

The computer is an older laptop - P-II vintage with only 128MB of RAM. I had to use the Ubuntu alternate-i386 version originally. Last night the Bianca LiveCD would almost finish, but not quite. I tried the LiveCD on a newer computer and it worked fine, so I know the disc is good.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm looking forward to using this version and am appreciative of the efforts that went into creating it.

Thanks,

Tom
thartley
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Install from CD without running LiveCD?

Postby mintero on Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:05 am

thartley wrote:The computer is an older laptop - P-II vintage with only 128MB of RAM. I had to use the Ubuntu alternate-i386 version originally. Last night the Bianca LiveCD would almost finish, but not quite. I tried the LiveCD on a newer computer and it worked fine, so I know the disc is good.
Tom

Hi,
I have installed Mint Bea and the installation was very slow with 256 mb ram.

Since the ubuntu alternate works, you can install it and then download the automatix installer for the codecs and other extra apps: http://www.getautomatix.com/wiki/index. ... stallation
Automatix will modify your /etc/apt/sources.list adding extra repositories.

ubuntu+automatix=almost mint :)

PS You can add mint's repository, if you like.
LinuxMint Bea
mintero
Level 2
Level 2

Postby thartley on Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:30 am

Thank you for the reply.

I should admit that I'm a newbie with Linux. I stumbled onto the Mint group here a few days ago while looking for a way to get an Airlink AWLC3026 PCMCIA wireless adapter to work with Ubuntu. I had already added Automatix to Ubuntu.

Bianca has the drivers for this card, Ubuntu doesn't. I tried to add Mint's repository, but I must have made an error because it didn't want to work correctly. It said it couldn't find certain things. I don't recall now what the actual problems were. I thought maybe I had to install Bianca in order to get the drivers. I'd be glad to try it again and post the messages.

I would mainly like to add the Airlink drivers from Bianca, but I also like the features of the MintDesk. If there is a way to get both those things without a full install, I'd be okay with that.

Thanks.
thartley
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mintero on Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:29 pm

thartley wrote:Bianca has the drivers for this card, Ubuntu doesn't. I tried to add Mint's repository, but I must have made an error because it didn't want to work correctly. It said it couldn't find certain things. I don't recall now what the actual problems were. I thought maybe I had to install Bianca in order to get the drivers. I'd be glad to try it again and post the messages.

I would mainly like to add the Airlink drivers from Bianca, but I also like the features of the MintDesk. If there is a way to get both those things without a full install, I'd be okay with that.

Thanks.
Adding repositories thru synaptic doesnt work always. So open a terminal and hit:
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
After giving the password, add this line:

deb http://www.linuxmint.com/repository bianca/

Save the file. Open synaptic and click Reload. If you have an error, write down what it is and tell us. May be the problem is with the linuxmint repository authentification key.
In this case you must ask Clem to tell you how to do with it.
LinuxMint Bea
mintero
Level 2
Level 2

Postby thartley on Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:18 pm

I added the linuxmint repository to sources.list and reloaded synaptic. I found the listing for mintwifi. Tried to add it but I got an error message:

Depends: ndiswrapper-utils-1.1 but it is not installable
Depends: ndiswrapper-utils-1.8 but it is not installable

I searched synaptic for ndiswrapper and found three things.

ndisgtk 0.6-0ubuntu1
ndiswrapper-source 1.8-0ubuntu2
ndiswrapper-utils 1.8-0ubuntu2

I added them and tried it again. Still no luck. Same error message. I verified that ndisgtk and ndiswrapper was installed, but it only shows the 1.8 version installed. I couldn't find the 1.1 version.

What do you make of this?

Thanks.
thartley
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mintero on Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:44 am

thartley wrote:I added them and tried it again. Still no luck. Same error message. I verified that ndisgtk and ndiswrapper was installed, but it only shows the 1.8 version installed. I couldn't find the 1.1 version.

What do you make of this?

Thanks.

When there are two versions Synaptic installs one by default in order to avoid conflicts. In this case there are not conflicts (look at their dependencies) and you should install the missing version. Choose the package and click Package->Force Version...(menubar)
LinuxMint Bea
mintero
Level 2
Level 2

Postby thartley on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:10 pm

Hi Mintero,

I tried your suggestion, but when I highlight ndiswrapper-utils under the Package column and then pull down the Package pulldown, the Force Version choice is grayed out. I checked the Help section for this as well, following the steps again, but met with the same result. At one point I even uninstalled the ndiswrapper stuff and reinstalled it just to see if I could get more choices.

Do you think this could be the result of using the Ubuntu alternate-i386 installation instead of the full version?

I'm trying all this on an older IBM 770X Thinkpad. At this point it would be easier to just pick up a different PCMCIA card that is known to work, but I don't like to throw in the towel, since Mint has the capability to work with the present card.

Thanks.
thartley
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mintero on Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:25 am

thartley wrote:, but when I highlight ndiswrapper-utils under the Package column and then pull down the Package pulldown, the Force Version choice is grayed out.
You must force ndiswrapper-utils-1.1, not ndiswrapper-utils. If had understood that ndiswrapper-utils-1.1 appears but was not installed. Does it appear in synaptic?

Do you think this could be the result of using the Ubuntu alternate-i386 installation instead of the full version?

Maybe. I would add another kernel to give it a try.
linux-generic version 2.6.17.11 & linux-headers-generic (same version) will install the needed dependancies.

In /boot/grub/menu.lst you must put a # before hiddenmenu in order to have the choice of kernel at boot time.

If you want to uninstall later, click File->History (in synaptic) to see what you have installed exactly.
LinuxMint Bea
mintero
Level 2
Level 2

Postby thartley on Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:17 am

Hi mintero,

I edited the menu.lst file. It took a couple of trys before I realized I had to hold down the ESC key while booting to get the version choices to show up. Unfortunately, the only choices I have are 2.6.15-28-386, 2.6.15-27-386 and 2.6.15-26-386. It says my version of GRUB is 0.97.

Is it looking more like an issue with the Ubuntu alternate-i386 version?

Tom
thartley
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mintero on Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:41 am

thartley wrote:Hi mintero,

I edited the menu.lst file. It took a couple of trys before I realized I had to hold down the ESC key while booting to get the version choices to show up. Unfortunately, the only choices I have are 2.6.15-28-386, 2.6.15-27-386 and 2.6.15-26-386. It says my version of GRUB is 0.97.

Is it looking more like an issue with the Ubuntu alternate-i386 version?

Did you install the version I mention above?
LinuxMint Bea
mintero
Level 2
Level 2

So does anyone have a positive answer for the OP?

Postby jbrush on Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:34 pm

Does anyone have an answer for the original question?

I cannot install from the LIVE CD. A post to follow will explain, and ask for help :-) but this is my question as well.

Thanks,

John
jbrush
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:51 pm

Hi,

The LiveCD is unfortunately the only way to install Linux Mint so far.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby psycosmyth on Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:08 pm

thank you Clem!
Can't wait for the KD(XFC)E versions.
Gnome is a booger on this older laptop. I got it to boot one time. I can't install it. I did put it on my desktop though.
An alternate would be nice for Cassandra.
psycosmyth
Level 2
Level 2

Installing Mint over Ibuntu

Postby Old Welder on Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:29 am

I've been a Microsoft Windblows follower since 3.1 and actually liked it. But I finally decided after XP that enough is enough and there has to be a better way. I mean, if I'm going to have trouble with an OS and have to tinker with it, it shouldn't cost me a bunch of money right? I thought I was fairly adept at command lines and exploring file menus but I realize now that I'm not. So with that said, please type your answers slowly.

I have a Dell Optiplex GX150 Pentium 3 with 512 mb ram. I put a new 160 gig hard drive in it and ran the Ubuntu live cd and got it installed. I didn't tweak it in any way, just let it format the drive and put what it wanted, where it wanted.

I have since downloaded Mint (iso) and would like to install and use it instead. But I can't force it to load from the cd on boot and when I explore the cd from the GUI it doesn't want to run it.

So I would appreciate any help you can give me. My intentions are to finally install Linux on my 3 Dells and become proficient in using it. It looks like a great OS and the people that run it seem like a great bunch. Not like some of the Winblows snobs that act like it is a sin to be inept at computers.

Thanks,
Old Welder
Old Welder
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Installing Mint over Ibuntu

Postby Old Welder on Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:06 am

Never mind. I picked up a different cd from a different person and Mint installed just fine.

I'm now an official Linux user.
Old Welder
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot