Dual Boot setup

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
natchezjohn

Dual Boot setup

Post by natchezjohn »

OK, now I have Mint 14.1 Cinnamon on sda1 and Mint 10 on sda6. Default boot is Cinnamon (first boot menu position). I want to put 14.1 Mate on sda 6 but default boot as Cinnamon. How do I do so?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Dual Boot setup

Post by xenopeek »

While installing Linux Mint 14.1 MATE you will get to the question where it asks you how it should install--use the entire disk, install alongside exisiting operating systems, overwrite an older version (this may possibly be shown, or not), or something else. Pick something else so you can do a manual set up of which partitions to use. Pick /dev/sda6 and select to format it as Ext4 and to mount it as /. Pick your swap partition and select to use it as swap (no need to format). Make sure also to select install the boot loader GRUB to /dev/sda6, and not to /dev/sda as probably will be the default. If you do it like this, the GRUB that was installed by Linux Mint 14.1 Cinnamon stays on /dev/sda and it will see your new Linux Mint 14.1 MATE installation and add it to the GRUB menu.
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

Or, just install to sda6 and Grub to sda (default).
Any time you like, boot in to Cinammon Mint and run

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc
And then Cinammon Mint will host Grub and be first in the boot menu.
natchezjohn

Post by natchezjohn »

BOTH look like they'll work. Thank ya'll (that's plural for you) VERY much,

John

Return to “Installation & Boot”