How to upgrade from Linux Mint 13 to 14 Nadia

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ashokkumar

How to upgrade from Linux Mint 13 to 14 Nadia

Post by Ashokkumar »

Hi,

I am using Linux Mint 13 dual boot with Windows 7. Boot-loader is loaded in Grub. Everything working perfectly fine, but I heard lot of very good reviews of Linux 14 Nadia. I was kind a hoping to get some assistance to see if I could upgrade from Linux mint to Linux Nadia or I have to perform Clean installation again. The issue is I have windows 7 too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ashokkumar

Re: How to upgrade from Linux Mint 13 to 14 Nadia

Post by Ashokkumar »

Hey Guys,

Any one there to help.......................
d00med

Post by d00med »

This tutorial should cover it.
Ashokkumar

Post by Ashokkumar »

Thank you so much. But I really hope Linux Developers have got so great talent that with out even backing up the Data we could upgrade it to the new versions because in my case I got dual boot. If some thing goes wrong I have to install both again. There could be many users who would have got dual or triple boot. So just a suggestion see if you guys could design something were we could upgrade to the newer version of Linux with out any concerns..I luv Linux Operating system so thought to give a small advice and I am sure you gusy can make it...You guys Rock............
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

You can try : http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-upgrad ... a-with-apt
But i am recommended clean install, do it with your own risk . See post 8 and 9 at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=119530
Ashokkumar

Post by Ashokkumar »

I like Linux a lot. So I can do clean install also. But just think how much time it would take for me to install Linux and Windows 7 again. What I meant was it would be a great advantage for Linux users if we could just update with out loosing any data and I am sure Linux Developers can do it. Release the new version, which any user can update with out any issue.
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

Ashokkumar wrote:I like Linux a lot. So I can do clean install also. But just think how much time it would take for me to install Linux and Windows 7 again. What I meant was it would be a great advantage for Linux users if we could just update with out loosing any data and I am sure Linux Developers can do it. Release the new version, which any user can update with out any issue.
Why do you need install win 7 again.?
If you are dual boot win7 and LM13, you can install LM14 in partition for LM13 without affecting windows partition.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

mank_in wrote:
Ashokkumar wrote:I like Linux a lot. So I can do clean install also. But just think how much time it would take for me to install Linux and Windows 7 again. What I meant was it would be a great advantage for Linux users if we could just update with out loosing any data and I am sure Linux Developers can do it. Release the new version, which any user can update with out any issue.
Why do you need install win 7 again.?
If you are dual boot win7 and LM13, you can install LM14 in partition for LM13 without affecting windows partition.
Same question

I have 6 distros + XP and a common NTFS partition.

All you have to do is install it in the same partition that you have installed Mint 14. Go for 3rd option --> something else (manual partition).

SWAP will be automatically selected. Select the partition on which Mint 13 is installed and do not forget to format it for error free installation.

Select same /home partition and DO NOT format it i.e. uncheck the option to format it. I presume that you have a different / (root) and /home partition

If you are installation same DE i.e. installing Cinnamon edition i.e. Mint 13 Cinnamon to Mint 14 Cinnamon and would like to save preferences, then while installation, type the same user name / login name as that in mint 13. You profile and customization will be saved.

Not to mention that you need to back up your data either manually or using mint backup. then install apps form improved Software Manager.

Install partition for bootloader will be auto selected to /sda. Please note it is sdA and not sdA1 or sdA2 (i.e. it should be sdx and not sdxy)

nothing will happen to windows as you are not touching any NTFS partition and any partition is not auto selected for formatting during manual partition (except / (root) and /home)

Reboot and if everything goes right, you will see win xp and 7 in bootloader.

If you want to play safe, and want to use win bootloader, which does not detect any Linux OS and wholeheartedly sniffs other M$ OS like XP, you will have to install EasyBcd in win 7. It is free to download. EasyBcd detects Linux.

While installing any Linux distro, install bootloader in /home partition and not in MBR i.e. sdA (generally)

When you reboot, you should see both win 7 and linux distro listed in EasyBcd bootloader and if you remove Mint, win 7 will be safe and can be booted.

I have never tried it as I am still hanging on XP, so cannot guide in case of trouble shooting

refer http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... cd#p567285

I have given a link to a tutorial

and this post

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... cd#p513615

Return to “Installation & Boot”