GRUB ERROR 24, HELP PLEASE

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: GRUB ERROR 24, HELP PLEASE

Post by 67GTA »

Error 24 usually means a corrupt file system on the disk, or a hard drive going bad. You can use a live CD to do a e2fsck check on your file system. If your lucky, it will find and correct some file system errors and boot just fine afterwards. Open a terminal and run

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
. Find your Linux partition. It will be something like /dev/sdax, or /dev/hdax. Replace "x" with the Linux partition number. Write that down, and boot your live CD. Open a terminal, and run sudo e2fsck /dev/sdax, or /dev/hdax (which ever applies to you). Let it run, and hopefully it will show it fixed some file system errors. Here is the output of

sudo fdisk -l
on my HD:

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 12748 102398278+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 35424 60768 203583712+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 60769 60801 265072+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda4 12749 35423 182136937+ 83 Linux

sda1 is NTFS(windows) sda2 is Mint sda3 is linux swap sda4 is Ubuntu If I wanted to run a check on Ubuntu, I would boot a live CD(never run e2fsck on a mounted system, hence the live CD) and run

sudo e2fsck /dev/sda4
. I hope that makes sense. e2fsck is essentially the same as doing a file system check on a Windows drive.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: GRUB ERROR 24, HELP PLEASE

Post by 67GTA »

If you were booted into Mint, you wouldn't want to run the e2fsck check on it because the partition you are using is mounted. If you boot into a live CD, the partition you are running the check on is not being used, so it is safe. e2fsck will try to correct file system errors, which can screw up a file system while it is in use.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Return to “Installation & Boot”