Install boot loader to root partition not MBR

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Install boot loader to root partition not MBR

Postby kingfisher on Sat May 03, 2008 9:41 pm

I got to the end of the installation questions and was unsure whether the installer would install the boot loader to the root partition (as I want) or to the MBR, which I don't want. There is a question about the location of grub help, which I changed from (hd0) to (hd1) but I wasn't sure that would achieve my objective. I want a boot loader on the partition but I don't want to override the existing boot loader on the MBR; it will chain load to the Mint partition.

If I can't do that, is there a way to install the boot loader when I log in to Mint. I assume there will be a menu.lst file from which I can copy a loading instruction.
kingfisher
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Install boot loader to root partition not MBR

Postby Fred on Sat May 03, 2008 10:00 pm

kingfisher,

There is a little button on the last page of the installer, just before the install begins, called "Advanced." Click it and you can tell the installer where you want grub installed.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Install boot loader to root partition not MBR

Postby kingfisher on Sat May 03, 2008 10:11 pm

Thanks. That was the button I clicked. It wasn't clear that the instruction related to the location of the boot loader because the dialogue talks of the location of "grub help".

Thanks again.
kingfisher
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot