moved mint, can't boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

moved mint, can't boot

Postby MALsPa on Mon May 05, 2008 9:31 pm

I moved Mint to a new partition and deleted the old partition. Since I deleted the old one, I can't boot into Mint.

When I boot using recovery mode I see:

Check root=bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
ALERT! /dev/sdb11 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

I ran cat /proc/cmdline and it returns:

root=/dev/sdb11 ro single

It should say /dev/sdb7 because I deleted sdb11. How can I change this? I am using another distro's grub but should I reinstall Mint's grub to its / partition or what? I don't know how to fix this unless reinstalling Mint's grub will work.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: moved mint, can't boot

Postby Fred on Mon May 05, 2008 9:54 pm

MALsPa,

You have some editing to do. You need to edit Mint's /etc/fstab and correct the partition assignments in that file. If you are using UUIDs, they will need to be corrected.

You also need to edit /boot/menu.lst of Mint and/or the other distro you are using to boot with, and correct the "root" and "root=" entries to reflect the new partitioning.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby MALsPa on Mon May 05, 2008 10:07 pm

Fred wrote:MALsPa,

You have some editing to do. You need to edit Mint's /etc/fstab and correct the partition assignments in that file. If you are using UUIDs, they will need to be corrected.

You also need to edit /boot/menu.lst of Mint and/or the other distro you are using to boot with, and correct the "root" and "root=" entries to reflect the new partitioning.

Fred

Okay, I had already fixed Mint's fstab and the deleted partitions are no longer mentioned there.

But, ah, yes, in the other distro's menu.lst, I still have

root=/dev/sdb11

And it should be root=/dev/sdb7. Is that all there is to it? Check this out, I fixed part of Mint's entry in that menu.lst but missed the other part:

title Linux Mint, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (on /dev/hdb7)
root (hd1,6)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/sdb11 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
savedefault
boot

Silly mistake. I'll try it now.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Postby MALsPa on Mon May 05, 2008 10:20 pm

Yes, that did the trick -- thanks, Fred!!! Can't believe I missed that.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Fred on Mon May 05, 2008 10:36 pm

MALsPa,

Hey, don't feel bad. I specialize in making mistakes and oversights. I know the feeling well. :-)

Fred

EDIT: In fact, I made one in my original post. It should have been /boot/grub/menu.lst and not /boot/menu.lst. :-)
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Installation & Boot