Grub Install does not work.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Grub Install does not work.

Postby raid617 on Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:52 pm

Hi whenever I try to install Linux Mint, the installer always crashes at the installing Grub stage. Grub is pretty easy to understand - so I don't think it's something I am doing wrong.

My partition table is fairly standard also. The only difference is that I only have a serial ATA interface on my laptop, it does not contain any IDE controllers at all. (I am not sure about the DVDRW drive - although it is possible that this could be serial ATA too).

To this end my partition table is set out as follows:

/dev/sda is my one and only 100 GB hard drive.

I have it divided up into 4 partitions, these are:

/dev/sda1 Windows NTFS
/dev/sda2 / Linux root EXT3
/dev/sda3 /home EXT3
/dev/sda4 Linux Swap

When running the set up I am asked where I wish to install Grub; and as I do not want to install grub on my MBR - as this can cause problems if my Windows install ever messes up and I need to reinstall Windows, I select to install it on my / root partition. I do this by selecting (hd0,1) as my install location. The install appears to proceed normally until the installing bootloader part and then fails with an installer crash.

Running the grub install command from the command line reveals why.

Code: Select all
grub> root (hd0,1)

Error 21: Selected disk does not exist

(hd0,0) as noted above should be my /root partition - or sda

It seems from this that the version of grub supplied with Linux Mint simply cannot see my Serial ATA hard disk.

To be clear

(hd0) would be my MBR
(hd0,0) would be the first partition - which is my windows partition
(hd0,1) would be my root partition - which is where I want to install Grub
(hd0,2) would be my /home partition
(hd0,3) Is my swap partition

Is there any way to resolve this - or can Linux Mint only be installed on computers with IDE controllers?
raid617
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby mikeon11 on Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:40 am

first time i {tried to} installed it failed installing grub. since i could not think of any reason it failed i switched installation {dvd/dvd-rw} media and that solved the problem. i have so far installed many other times without this problem poping up again
mikeon11
Level 1
Level 1

Postby valerian on Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:25 pm

I was getting the same results that you are experiencing and then I googled and found this guide which explains everything in detail which needs to be done to set up your dual boot system.

So far I've set this up on an IBM T43 laptop with success and also a desktop using the same method for success.

In the guide he gives you a work around by creating a Fat32 partition for sort of an /osshare as he explains so that your Windows install as well as Ubuntu can see the partition.

Anyway, I would follow this guide exactly as he explains and you should be up and running in no time.

http://www.crhc.uiuc.edu/~mjmille2/howt ... d-windows/

Enjoy
valerian
Level 1
Level 1

Grub install does not work

Postby tony on Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:01 pm

I had a problem with grub too !it seems according to various Grub forums that grub 0.97 doesn't recognise scsi drives properly well add sata drives to the list.
after I installed mint and rebooted Igot a similar error mesage and couldn't boot anything XP ,fedora or mint . fortunatly I have been in this situation a few times and was able to recover Fedora and get every thing sorted !! How ---- an emergency grub boot disk a copy of my grub.conf file from fedora and a bit of swearing
:oops: to make a boot grub disk I have found the easy way is to open a terminal cd /boot/grub use ls to get the directory listing and check files stage1 &stage 2 are present then put a floppy disk in then
"cat stage1 stage2 | dd of=/dev/ fd0"
to create the disk

To reboot a windows partition the command is

rootnoverify (hd0,0)

chainloader +1

you should then boot into yourwindows partition assuming it on disk1 partition 1
If you have copy an existing linux partition and grub.conf or menu.lst use the "root Kernel & initrd " lines to boot into it.

my problem was that grub had marked my sata disk as (hd2,2) it should have been (hd1,2) as I only have ide 1 ide2 is a zip drive and dvd so the sata drive should be (hd1,0) for fedora and (hd1,2) for mint
Then issue grub-install /dev/ hda to reinstall my grub boot loader reboot load up XP go to drives sata 1 partition 2 open boot grub print menu.lst from mint
and reboot :roll: phew !
In my case as I run fedora as well as mint I booted back to fedora opened grub.conf (as root) added the mint root,kernel & initrd lines aftr changing the root line from (hd2,2) to (hd1,2) rebooted and started up mint
As an aside you are probably better of using the MBR & grub to boot all your partitions
Hope this helps some body
Tony 8)
tony
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot