Grub Install does not work.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
raid617

Grub Install does not work.

Post by raid617 »

Hi whenever I try to install Linux Mint, the installer always crashes at the installing Grub stage. Grub is pretty easy to understand - so I don't think it's something I am doing wrong.

My partition table is fairly standard also. The only difference is that I only have a serial ATA interface on my laptop, it does not contain any IDE controllers at all. (I am not sure about the DVDRW drive - although it is possible that this could be serial ATA too).

To this end my partition table is set out as follows:

/dev/sda is my one and only 100 GB hard drive.

I have it divided up into 4 partitions, these are:

/dev/sda1 Windows NTFS
/dev/sda2 / Linux root EXT3
/dev/sda3 /home EXT3
/dev/sda4 Linux Swap

When running the set up I am asked where I wish to install Grub; and as I do not want to install grub on my MBR - as this can cause problems if my Windows install ever messes up and I need to reinstall Windows, I select to install it on my / root partition. I do this by selecting (hd0,1) as my install location. The install appears to proceed normally until the installing bootloader part and then fails with an installer crash.

Running the grub install command from the command line reveals why.

Code: Select all

grub> root (hd0,1)

Error 21: Selected disk does not exist
(hd0,0) as noted above should be my /root partition - or sda

It seems from this that the version of grub supplied with Linux Mint simply cannot see my Serial ATA hard disk.

To be clear

(hd0) would be my MBR
(hd0,0) would be the first partition - which is my windows partition
(hd0,1) would be my root partition - which is where I want to install Grub
(hd0,2) would be my /home partition
(hd0,3) Is my swap partition

Is there any way to resolve this - or can Linux Mint only be installed on computers with IDE controllers?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeon11
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mikeon11 »

first time i {tried to} installed it failed installing grub. since i could not think of any reason it failed i switched installation {dvd/dvd-rw} media and that solved the problem. i have so far installed many other times without this problem poping up again

Return to “Installation & Boot”