Grub With The Nice Image

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Grub With The Nice Image

Postby cAbLe on Wed May 07, 2008 5:45 am

Hello All:

I dont have to say that I am a newbie, you will know it immediately ;) But I like Linux Mint and I want to repair it.

First: The grub is working without any problem, but I have the blue menu with text. In the Mint page, shows a nice image as Grub (With a time counter and the mint logo). What can I do to have it also?

Second: The image when I have to put my user name and password is completely screwed. It is very big resolution and my monitor cant show it well. I just put my user and pass by memory :)
Is there a way to solve it?

Thanks a lot in advance.
cAbLe

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Grub With The Nice Image

Postby Husse on Thu May 08, 2008 5:39 am

Thank you for your interest in Mint
To help you solve your problem we need to know exactly what Mint you use.
By that I mean version (like Celena or Daryna or numerical if you prefer) and edition (main = Gnome, KDE or some of the Community Editions like xfce or fluxbox or the mini edition)
We also need information about your hardware. You can obtain that by running
lspci
in a terminal
If it is something connected to USB you run
lsusb
and similarly for other 'buses' like pcmcia....
To copy from a terminal mark (with the mouse) and right click
Then paste into a code box (it does not use as much space then)
Thank you
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby cAbLe on Sat May 10, 2008 5:52 am

Hello:

Thanks for the answer!
I am using the Daryna version.
I will do what you asked for on Monday, because I am using Mint at work :)

Thanks again.
cAbLe

Postby cAbLe on Tue May 13, 2008 7:26 am

czy51513@LMCB6KV:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
    03:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller (rev 02)

Linux Mint 4 Daryna
Gnome Desktop
cAbLe

Postby cAbLe on Tue May 13, 2008 7:29 am

Sorry for the 2ble post...please delete the previous one, there is not an option to do it by myself.
cAbLe

Postby cAbLe on Wed May 14, 2008 8:53 am

This is the image that I want
cAbLe

Postby rivenought on Wed May 14, 2008 10:24 am

cAbLe and others who may have a similar problem,

Husse gave a really good how-to for getting the nice grub and boot screens set up. I hope I am sharing this correctly, so if anyone sees a boo-boo, please let me know so I can change it. This worked great on my Mint 4 GNOME main computer (Thanks, Husse!). Basically, here is what he suggested to do:

If you use Mint 4 GNOME and do not have a /boot partition you need to click Linux Mint Menu --> Terminal. When the Terminal screen pops up, key in:

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

When that list pops up, go down a few lines to find the line that reads:

gfxmenu=/etc/grub/message.mint

Change that line to read:

##gfxmenu=/etc/grub/message.mint

Save the changes, close the terminal window, and reboot. You should boot right up to the log-in screen.

Now, if you use Mint 4 GNOME and have set up a /boot partition, you need to click Linux Mint Menu --> Terminal. When the Terminal screen pops up, key in:

sudo cp /etc/grub/message.mint /boot/grub/

Now, you should type in:

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

When that list pops up, go down a few lines to find the line that reads:

gfxmenu=/etc/grub/message.mint

Change that line to read:

gfxmenu=/grub/message.mint

Save the changes, close the terminal window, and reboot. You should boot right up to the log-in screen.

Please make sure you backup or copy your /boot/grub/menu.lst before making any changes. I know Husse's methods worked for me, but your mileage may vary. Please be careful.

That being said, I have the Mint 5 version of the same boot / splash scenario. So, I revisited Husse's advice and made one tiny change in the above procedure. I changed "message.mint" to read "message.elyssa" and everything seems to be working fine with my Mint 5 test machine.

I hope this will help you and anyone else who may be having similar issues at boot. Back-up, good luck, and please post back to let me know if this works properly or has a glitch.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby cAbLe on Wed May 14, 2008 12:24 pm

Hello:

Thanks for your reply.

I already read that guide and it didn't work for me.
Maybe I made a wrong step.

I will recheck tomorrow and I will tell you if it is working or not.

Thanks a lot for your time!
cAbLe

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot