boot options for laptop install?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

boot options for laptop install?

Postby Paco62 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:50 pm

I am trying to install mint 13 maya mate 64-bit in a asus g75vw 'republic of gamers' laptop with two hard drives. One hard drive has Xubuntu 12.04 on it, and the other has windows 7. I gave up trying to get windows 7 and xubuntu to co-exist and now want to erase windows 7 drive and install mint on it. I put in the mint live disk but mint would not boot up, just a white screen with a blinking white cursor. Restarted and then pressed the space bar and got a window with options to start linux mint, start in compatibility mode, integrity check, memory test, boot from local drive. It also said press tab to select boot options. I did that and there is a line which says "> /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash -- " Which of these should I change and how to do it?
Paco62
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: boot options for laptop install?

Postby kc1di on Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:10 pm

Paco62 wrote: "> /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash -- " Which of these should I change and how to do it?

Just add
Code: Select all
nomodeset
to the end and try that. so it would look like this
Code: Select all
>  /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed  boot=casper  initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash -- nomodeset
John 3:16
Morse code an Early
Digital Mode
Registered Linux User #462608
kc1di
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Installation & Boot