DVD ISO for Main Edition of Mint?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

DVD ISO for Main Edition of Mint?

Postby drcfisher on Thu May 08, 2008 9:35 pm

I cannot install the CD ISO of Mint. I know Ubuntu forms the core of Mint and about 2 or 3 Ubuntu versions ago, they apparently took out necessary drivers required for my laptop. The Ubuntu DVD versions worked fine though. Similarly, I cannot install CD editions of Mint and the Mint KDE DVD installs with no problem. Is there a DVD ISO of the Mint Main Edition? I'd really like try it out.

By the way, I have searched long and hard to find a linux distro that I really like, would run on my laptop, and handled internet multimedia with ease. After 2 years of searching, I believe I have finally found my distro in Linux Mint. Great work guys!
drcfisher
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: DVD ISO for Main Edition of Mint?

Postby 67GTA on Thu May 08, 2008 10:06 pm

There currently isn't a DVD version. What exactly is happening? If it were CD drive drivers, then the drive wouldn't be able to run DVD's either. If you can give us more info, we might be able to help.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Ede on Fri May 09, 2008 1:44 am

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3250

You could try this.
Ede
Level 4
Level 4

Postby drcfisher on Mon May 12, 2008 7:07 pm

Sorry for the terribly slow reply. When I try to install from recent Ubuntu/Mint Live CDs, I get weird errors. Sometimes I cannot even get the Linux Kernel to load- it just hangs. The errors are not consistent though. Sometimes I'll get the Live CD up and running but then installation fails. With the Mint Live CD, I thought it actually worked, but after the installation finished and I rebooted Mint had problems and wouldn't load (I cannot recall the specific problems... sorry). Just like Ubuntu, when I downloaded the Mint DVD, all of my problems went away. I am actually very happy with the Mint KDE, but really wanted to give the GNOME version a try. Hopefully one day then will make a GNOME DVD version of Mint. Thanks!!
drcfisher
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Mon May 12, 2008 9:25 pm

drcfisher,

Why don't you try burning the iso file to a dvd instead of a cd. There could be a number of reasons that the cd isn't working for you. If a dvd did fine on the kde version then put the Gnome version on a dvd.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Lantesh on Mon May 12, 2008 10:25 pm

Fred makes an excellent point. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to burn the CD .iso on to a DVD.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Postby drcfisher on Tue May 13, 2008 8:13 am

I hadn't thought of that. I always assumed the DVD worked because it simply included more drivers, etc. I guess it could potentially be the physical media that is causing this. When I do a fresh install of Linux 5, I will certainly try this out! Thanks fellas...
drcfisher
Level 1
Level 1

Postby drcfisher on Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:24 am

I tried burning the main edition of Mint to DVD, which I thought was a great suggestion. No luck though. I received a "Faulty CD/DVD or Hard Disk [errno 5] input/output error" error message. This was the first time I've ever received a error message when trying to installl - it just usually freezes. Afterward, I downloaded and promptly reinstalled the Mint KDE DVD edition with no errors or problems whatsoever - weird, huh?

I do not know what it is about CD editions of Ubuntu/Gnome/Mint, but they do not like my laptop. It isn't a big deal so don't spend a lot of time trying to figure this out. My only concern is if Mint or Ubuntu stop putting DVD editions out - then I'm up the creek as they say.
drcfisher
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot