Crashes on startup

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Crashes on startup

Postby Old PC user on Fri May 09, 2008 10:23 am

I think my mint maybe corrupted. Im currently runing a live CD. Is there a way to recover the previous linux mint distrubution, without loss of data. A recovery ISO perhaps ? I would like to recover the previous data, a,d start a new install but since the previous user has a password, its not allowing access to any of the files...

CAn we Access the files with a username and password, of the live cd ???
Old PC user

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Crashes on startup

Postby Lantesh on Fri May 09, 2008 11:23 am

Am I understanding correctly that you have already done a reinstall, but you used a different user name? The old files are there, but owned by the old user? If so what you need to do is change the owner of the directory that has the files you want. In terminal type: sudo chown user /path/of/files , with user being your current user name and the rest being the directory path of the files.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Crashes on startup

Postby MagnusB on Fri May 09, 2008 3:35 pm

I am not sure what the default user name in Mint live session is (think it is mint though), but the easiest way would be to open Nautilus in root mode:
Code: Select all
sudo nautilus

Then just copy the files you need to a secure medium (a external harddisk, USB pen etc). If you used a seperate /home partition you can just re install and choose not to partition the /home partition.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Installation & Boot