Puzzle becomes a problem!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Puzzle becomes a problem!

Postby T J Tulley on Fri May 09, 2008 6:15 pm

This is my 3rd installation of Celena - always in the same partitions (sda5=/, sda6=/home, sda7=swap) and this time my 3 ntfs partitions refuse to mount - they have always done so in the past. (See description of previous appearance in "Puzzle, not a problem" posted 2nd May).

I have my 3rd Daryna in sdb1=/, sdb5=/home, and after the usual editing (new installation uses UUIDs, need to edit initially to mount ntfs partitions which, being images from Windows, have identical UUIDs. and then to show labels in fstab), commenting-out the UUIDs) it is working well, with all my partitions showing with their labels on desktop.

Now, for the first time in Celena, the ntfs partitions don't show after booting, and subsequently mounting them and editing fstab has not corrected this. Their labels were originally applied in Win XP Pro, and have been confirmed in Linux - but although it has worked in the past, the command e2label, according to its manual, only applies to ext2 and ext3 partitions. Now when I try to use it I get responses like that shown in the terminal extract below:

theo@TJT4Daryna2:/$ sudo e2label /dev/sda1
e2label: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda1
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.
theo@TJT4Daryna2:/$ sudo e2label /dev/sdb1
root-Daryna2
theo@TJT4Daryna2:/$

The second command there shows e2label responding correctly for an ext3 partition.

BTW, I also tried:
theo@TJT4Daryna2:/$ sudo e2label /media/sda1
e2label: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while trying to open /media/sda1
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

Any ideas on how to overcome this?
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot