Stuck on black screen when booting

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
digitman

Stuck on black screen when booting

Post by digitman »

Hi all,

I've downloaded Mint KDE via torrent, and then I used UNetBootin to create a bootable USB stick of the .ISO file.

It seemed to work correctly, and then I booted using the USB.

However, on boot, I'm taken to this black screen with one long line saying a copyright notice: 'Copyright 1994-2010 Peter alvin'. The screen remains stuck on this, and nothing happens. Eventually if I press tab, then I see a line saying something like 'ubunto0 ubunto1 ubunto2 ...'. If I type 'y' and press enter, it says 'bad kernal image y' or 'no kernal image y', same if I type help and press enter.

What do I need to do to progress beyond this screen?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Stuck on black screen when booting

Post by xenopeek »

If you boot from the USB, do you get the 10 second count down screen? If so, press a key and select to boot compatibility mode.

Otherwise, Linux Mint recommends the Universal USB Installer for Windows users: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/. Step 1 is to select the Linux Mint version you want to install, step 2 to browse to where you have the ISO. If you are on Linux, recommend you just use dd: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/744
digitman

Re: Stuck on black screen when booting

Post by digitman »

I think I just didn't have enough space on the USB drive I used, I tried it with a 99x MB drive. Or it might've been an issue with the KDE ISO. When I tried it with Mate and on a 2 GB usb (which took up about 1.2 gb space) then it worked okay. :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”