Mint 14 KDE 64 bit and Win 8

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint 14 KDE 64 bit and Win 8

Postby Jasper2012 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:44 pm

I have "lurked" this forum for quite some time and finally decided to jump in. I just bought a new machine an Acer Aspire One, preloaded with Win 8. I live in an area where there are not a lot of choices as far as buying computers. This unit was relatively economically priced at my local Wal Mart. I purchased it with the intent of loading Mint. Well that turned into quite a job. I read everything I could find and watched all of the pertinent videos and finally succeeded in getting a copy of Mint to run as a live distro., in UEFI with secure boot enabled. A fairly time consuming project, but once done, then I thought no problem I will make this a dual boot machine, and commenced to 1) partition the hard drive 2) allocate a swap 3) load mint .. When I did all of that the machine still would not boot into Linux.

Something I noticed in the Mint installation program, was that when I was allocating space for the OS and the swap, there was not way to designate if one was "primary" and one was "logical", there was just no appropriate check box. When all was said and done I went back into disc management and both of the new drives were labeled primary. Which I think was the/a problem.

My thought is that my download was corrupted. I have since, down loaded a fresh copy of Linux Live and the latest version of mint (64 bit) with the KDE desk top, there are some noticeable difference in the Mint distros., and when I went into the installation set up for the version I have I found that there is a HDD partitioning function included, as I recall at the moment there were more than one choice one of which was the guided version. Since I am only just slightly computer literate, that seemed like a good choice for me.

I said all of that to say this, has anyone else tried to load the M-14 KDE version on a win 8 machine and what seems to work..that is if it would work at all. I have observed from my trials and errors that some of this is the "Undiscovered Land" as far as Win 8 goes, since Win 8 is still in "flux" and is a bit like hitting a moving target.

I have been using various Linux distros. since 1995 and this has been the most challenging so far. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated and I hope the "book" I have written is not so much that no one cares to read it all.
Jasper2012
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint 14 KDE 64 bit and Win 8

Postby anandrkris on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:26 am

Hi...I am a noob myself and have not much experience, with Win 8 none as such.

I hope your Win 8 is working fine and you're able to use your system, i guess because GRUB is installed in seperate drive , Linux is not recognized. In such a case, you need to tell Windows bootloader to load Linux Mint. To do this, you could install EasyBCD to add an entry for Linux. This tutorial helped me a lot to understand the difference between installing GRUB to MBR / separate partition.
Cheers,
If there is a drive, there will be a path
anandrkris
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Installation & Boot