dual Mint 14, Win 7Pro install issue

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

dual Mint 14, Win 7Pro install issue

Postby aegonix on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:48 pm

Hey all,

for a compsci class this term, we're using a lot of linux based software, and for my home system, I decided to install Mint. I have the Mint 14 Cinnamon x64 ISO burned to a bootable CD, a Gparted Live CD, and a Win7Pro CD. My issue is baffling to me, because it didn't appear at all when I installed Mint 11 next to Win7 a year or so ago. I have changed laptops since then, as well as changing from a traditional platter drive, to a 3rd Gen SSD.

When you run the ISO in Windows, it offers to install Mint that somehow runs through Windows. Not too sure on the exact mechanics, but it allows you do dual boot. Unfortunately, the installation fails every time. On restart, it doesn't properly finish the install. It tries to load into Mint, and then freezes at a black screen. I left it that way for about 1.5 hours, before cutting power, and attempting to re install, with the same result.

Then I decided just to make a true dual-boot system, which I have done before, with Mint 11.
I created a brand new, fresh install of Win7, taking up most of my hard drive, with 30 GB of free space left for Mint. proceeded to get my windows install running properly.. etc etc. Shut down my laptop. Inserted the Mint 14 Live CD. Mint loads, and I click 'install'. It gives me a few options, Install over whole hard drive, or custom. I press custom, thinking it'll be able to find the free space I left open after the Win7 install. Nope, it can only see the drive as a single entity. No partitions visible to Mint at all. For the heck of it, I tried with the Mint 11 CD I still had, as well as a Ubuntu 11, and a Ubuntu 12.10 Live CD I also happened to have. None can see the partition.

The Gparted Live CD doesn't boot. From shutoff, the process goes- Insert CD, boot, F12-> boot from DVD drive, DVD drive spins up, spins down, computer loads Windows from the SSD.

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated. I generally have a fairly good understanding of computers and computer systems, and am pretty competent at following complex instruction sets, but this issue is just baffling. Re installing windows is not an issue, and takes me about 30 minutes overall. Would like to avoid that if I can, but it's not the end of the world if I have to again.

To be able to complete my assignments at home so far, I've actually had to completely install Mint on a spare HDD I had lying around, and just swap out the HDD for my Win7 SSD when I need to do my cpsc work, but as you can imagine, this is quite obnoxious.

tech specs:
Lenovo Y580 laptop
OCZ Agility 3 120 GB SSD.
i7-3610QM

edits for clarity and spelling
aegonix
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: dual Mint 14, Win 7Pro install issue

Postby thegreatgazoo on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:46 pm

Just to rule out the cd or image you downloaded as a problem, It's always good to do a checksum on both the cd image you downloaded and the cd you burned.
In windows you can use this to do it http://www.winmd5.com/

All the advise in world wont work if you are trying to do it with a bad cd.
I say this from experience. I have had a bad batch of cd/dvd media that would constantly fail, and have also had corrupted downloads that confused me to no end.
thegreatgazoo
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Installation & Boot