Linux and supercomputers

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Brahim Salem

Linux and supercomputers

Post by Brahim Salem »

I read an article about the usage share of operating systems statistics and it states that according to TOP500 project that lists and ranks the 500 fastest supercomputers in the world, since November 2010, out of the top 500 systems, 459 (91.8%) run a Linux distribution. Linux is also selected as the operating system for the world's most powerful supercomputer. But acording to w3schools.com OS platform statistics Linux share hasn't gone beyond 5% from 2003-2012 :shock: :shock: That's amazing because since the introduction of Ubuntu in 2004 and Linux Mint 2006, Linux popilarity increased dramatically, But these cyclic statistics remained the same. I think they are faking them so that this multinational Microsoft corners the IT market!! And the question that pops up is: why is Linux so popular on supercomputers while it is still struggling to become mainstream on desktops and laptops??? :roll: :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Linux and supercomputers

Post by passerby »

Because supercomputer owners know what they're doing and how to make the most of their system.

Most standard users just want something that works and supports their commonly-used programs.
Not everyone enjoys playing around with alternative software and OSes, and most workplaces I've been to use Microsoft products because it's the standard.
eg. If Photoshop works for them, they see no reason to give GIMP a chance.
Why spend time on something that may work when they already have a solution that does work?*

I think Linux will see more standard users with steam for linux, the ubuntu phone, etc.
This far down the track I think it's moreso about exposure and information.
Most people I know have never even heard of linux, and those who have automatically assume it's too difficult for them to use.

*I don't think like that, obviously. Otherwise I probably wouldn't be on this forum. But it's easy to understand where such people are coming from.

Return to “Installation & Boot”