Re-Using old laptop [Solved]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Re-Using old laptop [Almost Solved]

Post by nunol »

Slitaz is good but not really a full size distro like Mint, it's closer to Puppy.

If you can't use Plop you are limited to CD size distros. Some utility distros have Plop in the boot menu, you could try one. I use Parted Magic that has Plop and other tools.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

Sorry for bumping this thread, but now I have this old laptop running smoothly with Mint 12 lxde, is there any point in going further an trying Mint 13? Will it be safe to keep using Mint 12 after support ends? It's running so well now, I don't want to make it slower by upgrading to 13.
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
passerby

Post by passerby »

You won't receive security updates and such, but realistically speaking I doubt any harm will come from it.
Have you considered giving LMDE a try? As a semi-rolling distro you'd never need to reinstall yet you'd keep getting updates.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Re-Using old laptop [Solved]

Post by excollier »

Image (LMDE) is dvd size and this old laptop only works with cd (won't boot from dvd or usb), so I'll leave it at Mint 12 lxde, job done. (I did get the stripped down Mint 13 cd image linked earlier in the thread)
Now to teach my mother about the basics of using a computer.....
Thanks for all the help and tips, I've learned a lot. :)
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Re-Using old laptop [Solved]

Post by excollier »

Well, I couldn't resist it, I had to install the stripped down Mint 13 Mate from cd. (Thanks to Gutknecht).
Seems to run ok, but I'm going to up the ram to it's 1GB max to speed it up a little. Only thing is Firefox won't play flash (youtube etc) but that's not a real problem, my mum won't be too interested in that. So finally, thanks one and all.

Return to “Installation & Boot”